IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajendran (Consultant)     10 April 2010

LandLords Right!!!

My  tenant staying in my home for the past 25 years paying Rs.500. My father has not got any agreement on those days. We filed the case against my tenant for eviction & fair rent. My tenant  never informs me, repairing the common motor and do all alterations without my knowledge. he never comes to court ( purposely giving false excuses).... when enqiure about the changes which he has done without my knowlege he simply says he has every right to do as he is tenant!!!.... Kindly anyone help me(LandLord) what to do????


 5 Replies

N RAMESH. (Advocate Chennai. Formerly Civil Judge. Mobile.09444261613)     11 April 2010

Tenant can not make any alteration of tenanted premises without consent of the landlord. In case of urgency, if there is no time he should have informed the landlord about the alteration and should have obtained ratification.

Tenant has no right to make any lateration on his own.

It can be a gound for seeking eviction of tenant.

Rajendran (Consultant)     11 April 2010

Thanks for your reply sir...... Previously he changed the EB cable of my Current Connection from TNEB stating he has to install A/C as power supply is too low for him. Enquired the Area Engineer(TNEB) "how he can change the cable without LandLords consent". the TNEB AE replies "it is not neccessary to get permission from LandLord, if a tenant requests & gives letter to change the cable it is his Right to do so". lastly, last month he repaired the common motor. stating it was not functioning. and he needs water. Not informing me he bought a mechanic and took the motor & repaired (when i was not here) & when enquired, he says it is basic right for me(LandLord) to give water to him(tenant) never produced me the repair cost bill. and says he did'nt have my number so he has not informed me or to my house members. For the past one week the motor is not functioning properly usually overhead tank gets filled up within 15 mins. for the past one week it takes 1-1/2 hr to get filled up....... kindly reply what should i do in this aspect?. My tenant is becoming big headache for me, I could not even concentrate in my work....

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     11 April 2010

i agree with Ramesh

Rajendran (Consultant)     11 April 2010

Mr. Ramesh Sir, Can I add these  issues now in my eviction. I would to wish to talk with you. kindly reply when you are free sir.

N RAMESH. (Advocate Chennai. Formerly Civil Judge. Mobile.09444261613)     11 April 2010

If the EB connection is in your name, change of cable without your request/consent is illegal. You can sue the E.B.

Providing of motor does form part of other amenities. If it is your motor, the act of the tenant is again illegal.

Yes you can add these grounds in your eviction petition.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query