LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shilpashetty (Shop Owner)     30 April 2015

Karta to whom the court considersin one of the incident the

In one of the incident the father was aged about 60 years he had son (X) aged around 36 years and a daughter (Y) she was married in year 1991.  The son was a govt employee and lost his job in year 1988 due to misappropriation of money. He was dismissed from the govt job and was been facing civil and criminal cases. He had 3 children studying (SSLC, PUC and 8th standard) in pvt school in city. In the year 1991 the son (X) wanted to sell the property to meet the family necessity, children fees and court expenses. Son (X) wife wanted to save the property so she approached her father and got money from her father to meet the family necessity and court expenses. Later son (X) transferred the property to his wife this was happened in the year 1991, since she given money. The son (X) father was alive till 1995.

Will son (X) is considered as karta to alienate the property without consulting his sister?

His alienation to wife was questioned by daughter (Y) in court in 2010? Is this valid?.

How to prove that son was the karta.?

As per my knowledge, karta cannot be questioned about the alienation after 12 years?

Learning

7 Replies

bsrao   01 May 2015

A joint Hindu family consists of persons lineally descended from a common ancestor and includes their wives and unmarried daughters. After an amendment in 2005, daughters also became eligible for share in HUF. My question is how did you presume the family as HUF in the absence of union of families? If there is no HUF, there is no karta. Assuming HUF exists, son's father is the karta in 1991, not the son. Does the transfer specifies that consideration was received for the property? You need to have irrefutable proof to take this defence. 

shilpashetty (Shop Owner)     01 May 2015

Dear Expert, please answer this.

The sister (Y) was married in before 1988 and son (X) got the property in his name in 1988.  and in 1991 Son (X) transferred to his wife.

Will this be consider as HUF family?

if No, than she can claim property

if Yes, than she can claim property

bsrao   01 May 2015

No. There is no HUF here. How did the son (X) got the property in his favour?

shilpashetty (Shop Owner)     01 May 2015

I have applied for RTI to get the same. Their is no mutation copy of those survey number.

when we applied for one of the survey number, we didn't get the RR details from taluk office.

In case if I don't get the details how the son(X) got the property, the onus of proving lies on sister (Y) right ?

bsrao   01 May 2015

No. The burden of proof lies with the son(X) to show that the property was rightfully transferred in his favour. One cannot give that one doesn't have. If he is not the rightful owner of  the property, then how can he transfer it in his spouse's name!

shilpashetty (Shop Owner)     02 May 2015

Son (X) have PANI in his name from the year 1988 till now.

But the issue here is we don't have document which shows how the Son(X) got  from his Father. We applied for the RR number (which shows how the property transcation happened) which was show in PANI but got reply from taluk office that they don't have document of that RR number. This RR number was mentioned in PANI.

Since the Sister (Y) was filed the case. The burden of proof lies on who filed the case right????

Expert please correct me if I am wrong... here ...??????

Sec 101. Burden of Proof -

Whoever desires any Court to give judgment as to any legal right or liability dependent on the existence to facts which he asserts, must prove that those facts exist.

When a person is bound to prove the existence of any fact, it is said that the burden of proof lies on that person.

Illustration

(b) A desires a Court to give judgment that he is entitled to certain land in the possession of B, by reason of facts which he asserts, and which B denies to be true.

A must prove the existence of those facts.

Sec 109. Burden of proof as to relationship in the case of partners, landlord and tenant, principal and agent -

When the question is whether persons are partners, landlord and tenant, or principal and agent, and it has been shown that they have been acting as such, the burden of proving that they do not stand, or have ceased to stand to each other in those relationships respectively, is on the person who affirms it.

Sec 110. Burden of proof as to ownership -

When the question is, whether any person is owner of anything of which he is shown to be in possession, the burden of proving that he is not the owner is on the person who affirms that he is not the owner.

Supreme Court judgement

The take of the Supreme Court in the recent case Rangammal v. Kuppuswami and Ors. CIVIL APPEAL NO. 562 OF 2003 that burden of proof lies on the person who first asserts the fact, and not on the one who denies that fact to be true. The responsibility of the defendant to prove a fact to be true would start only when the authenticity of the fact is proved by the plaintiff.

shilpashetty (Shop Owner)     06 May 2015

Experts pls reply if my above statement is wrong.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register