Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

priya (customer care)     15 August 2014

Jwellery gifted from husband taken back by inlaws

HI ,

i am a married women with a 6 months old son, i live with my husband out of India and he is a Citizen of Australia.

When i got married to him 4 years back ,my in-lwas and my husband gifted me the jewellery as a part of a ritual .i came to Australia with my husband and i was not allowed to bring the jewellery along with me ,so my inlwas kept it with them, after 2 years when i went to India i told my Husband since his parents live in a Village and it is not safe to keep the jewellery at home ,so we can take the jewellery along and keep it safe here in Australia in locker,also i wished to wear it in some occasions like my son's 1st birthday etc.because when will i get a chance to wear them ?He agreed and we got the jewellery here in Australia .we opened a joint locker here and we both can operate it.

This year after my son was born ,his parents came to visit us ,i was going through lot of stress that time and my inlaws did not use to treat me well in the absence of my husband when he went away to work ,they would criticise me about the way i look after my baby ,although i was doing a good job and my baby's needs come 1st for me ,my husband was never aware of this until i told him of what was happening behind his back ,ultimately i could not bear the unjust for any longer,one final day i told my husband i can not stay with his parents any longer ,he fought with me and told about this to my father in laws about it ,my father left no chance to aduse me ,threaten me and even told my husband to leave me and they would resettle him.i love my husband a lot but his life revolves around to whatever his parents say .One day on 2th of june acc.to banks record,my husband quietly went to use the locker accompanied by his father and removed the jewellery i got from his side and handed over to his parents ,who sneaked away to India on26th of june with the jewellery after 2 days when they were supposed to leave after another 15 days but they propound the tickets and left 2 days after jewellery was taken out i was not even informed about the jewellery at all which is equal to steeling coz it was stridhan ,after a month ago i went to check the locker just to find out that jewellery is gone and locker was operated on 24th of june by my husband .My husband admitted that he gave away the jewellery because of the and but in future I'm not sure if he refuses to accept that he took the jewellery out of the locker and i am pretty sure that he was influenced to do this,coz as i know him he would always secure his belongings or mine himself and not give them away like that ,i was completely disheartened by this act of my husband ,ofcouse my trust was broken.i now have a fear that since my father in laws is completely revengeful towards me ,he might sell the jewellery and then claim that it got stolen and get way with it or sell it t.i am not sure weather its ever gonna get back to me ?i want to know what are my rights for that jewellery and is it legally correct on the part of my inlwas to take the jewellery worth of 4 lakh like this ? can i file a case and will they be liable for punishment?where should i file the case ,if i am overseas and still a citizen of India but my husband is Australian citizen ,what steps do i need to take?what proof do i need to collect .unfortunalety the receipts of jewellery from his side might not be in my name ,as they gifted to me ,but what else can i do to get the jewellery back?

Learning

1 Replies

Prasad (Systems Engineer)     15 August 2014

Hi Priya,

If you really want to file a complaint, you can register a complaint 
in Australia itself where the "act of stealing" happened. 

But what will you complain about? How can you say this is stealing?

Please cool down and take a break.

You are giving so much importance to those jewels of worth 4 lakh value.

The jewel itself was gifted to you by your own husband and in laws.
Now they have taken it for some reason. 

What is the grave mistake here?

Your in-laws gifted their son also to you.
Be happy that, they did not steal their son [ie. your husband] from you.

You want your husband's love or that jewellery? 
You want your in-laws respect or that jewellery?

Your in-laws advised you to take care of your son well.
But you have ignored their advice. 

If you file a complaint, you may get your jewels back.

But you will lose your husband, in-laws and a happy-dignified-well-settled marriage life.

You are worried about your right on that jewellery.
Please worry about your right on your husband and your son.

Think wise. Love your husband so that he will gift you more jewels.

The good hearts in this forum want every member of this forum to have a resolved peaceful life. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register