LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rakesh   07 January 2018

Is bank account number confidential ?

After i got separated, I have changed my job and open the new salary account. And i have not provided that account or my company name to anyone, and only transaction in my account is my salary. Now in HMA 24 maintenace my wife laywer submitted my salary account number to court and court has issued summon. Now i am unable to understand that from where they got my account number.  Can i know if bank has provided that to oppposite party. Can anything be done against it ? Can i ask from bank. Is providing account number by bank is confidentiality breach.

Sorry if it is dumb questiion, i am searching it from couple of days but have not found anything in forums related to it.

Learning

16 Replies

Born Fighter (xxx)     07 January 2018

Rather than thinking who disclosed ur Salary account number, you should think about what will the court order on maintenance now and action for misleading the courts.

Sachin (N.A)     07 January 2018

Originally posted by : Rakesh
After i got separated, I have changed my job and open the new salary account. And i have not provided that account or my company name to anyone, and only transaction in my account is my salary. Now in HMA 24 maintenace my wife laywer submitted my salary account number to court and court has issued summon. Now i am unable to understand that from where they got my account number.  Can i know if bank has provided that to oppposite party. Can anything be done against it ? Can i ask from bank. Is providing account number by bank is confidentiality breach.

Sorry if it is dumb questiion, i am searching it from couple of days but have not found anything in forums related to it.

Focus on your maintenace case rather than bank.

To handle the case, increase your liabilities so court do not award high maintenace.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 January 2018

Go thru the information published by your own bank, e.g;

Indian Bank:

PRIVACY POLICY

2. The bank will safeguard, securely and confidentially, any information that the customers share with the Bank. The bank will continue to maintain its tradition of not sharing the transaction information in customers’ account with any one except when required by law or statutory agencies.

4. The bank will give access to customer information to only those employees who are authorized to handle the customer information. Employees who violate Bank’s Privacy Promise will be subject to the Bank’s normal disciplinary process.

5. The bank will not reveal customer information to any external organization unless the bank has previously informed the customer in disclosures or agreements have been authorised by the customer or as required by the law and statutory authorities.

https://www.indianbank.net.in/jsp/Privacy_Policy.pdf

Relate with BCSBI Cods, IBA , RBI guidelines….

Your lawyer may arrange to ask OP in court from whom and how IT obtained the statement of account that belongs to you and not OP.

You can ask your bank who passed/shared the copy of account statement and why and on what grounds and by which clause of any agreement signed with you or consent by you?

Your lawyer can advise you if you can claim compensation from bank and decided cases.

Since IT has already landed in court and you are not likely and expected to refute, pay attention to handle maintenance that court may award.

Amit Sehgal   07 January 2018

following

Rakesh   07 January 2018

Hi. The bank has not provided account statement, My query is for compromising of account number. Please read question again. Thanks

Originally posted by : Amit Sehgal
following

Your last post does not convey clear message!

Read the response once again.

Bak or designated employee must not share....

Now read the statement of spouse or IT's counsel once again.

Rakesh   07 January 2018

Sir, my question is "Now i am unable to understand that from where they got my account number.  Can i know if bank has provided that to oppposite party. Can anything be done against it ? Can i ask from bank. Is providing account number by bank is confidentiality breach."

They have provivded the salary account number in the court and judge summons the bank to provide transaction details (account statement).

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     08 January 2018

The answer to your question is very simple. The wife got your bank account number after hacking your emails account or computer system where the bank account details must be available in any manner. For professioinal hackers getting any information is very simple. Also all the empolyees of the bank are not so honest, that will not be helping your wife for proving this simple information to her. This is too small job in exchage of few smiles.

Rakesh   09 January 2018

Does it mean that i cannot do anything in this regard.

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     09 January 2018

You forget this but concentrate defending her maintenance petition. Rather try to find her fincancial condition from her bank accounts, place of job etc.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     09 January 2018

As pointed out by Sachin and other, time to focus on your Section 24 HMA rather than on your right to privacy, which you can take up latter..

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 January 2018

The breach by bank is another matter.

The email id, phone number if hacked, is another matter. Ih hacked IT may open new chapters and avenues...

The spouse/lawyer that has  submitted the a/c information can be asked where from IT is obtained.

If you wish approach a very able senior LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in consumer matters having successful track record.....

One should avoid as much as possible keeping personal/confidential info prone to hacking.

If  hacked, IT is just and proper to reach the person that hacked or got IT hacked and penalize.

You were/are not likely to submit false information on your proved earnings.

You can submit your financial obligations assist the court that has to decide the maintainance.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register