My father passed away in 1999, without leaving a Will. As my mother had already passed away earlier, the survivors to my father's estate are myself & my sister. My father purchased a residential property in Punjab in 1980's, which later became his primary residence until his demise; my sister & I left to settle abroad well before his death.
My queries are as follows:
1. Can this property be classified as 'ancestral property'? (The property was self-acquired by my father, & none of my father's parents or siblings were living with him.)
2. Does my sister have right to equal share in the property?
3. As the only son, do I have sole rights to rent or use the property as I wish, until such time when the property is sold? (I do not currently reside in the property.)
4. Does my sister have any rights to the money received as rent?
5. What can I do to legalise ownership if my sister is not open to any amicable procedure? (My father is still the registered owner of the property, & we need to at least get it registered in our joint names.)
Thanks in advance for your valuable guidance