IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sarah Lloyd-Hughes (n/a)     23 July 2010

Indemnity Bond & Indian advocat for UK

3 years ago I worked for a multinational Indian company, as an employee in india. I am British. A few months ago I was contacted by them stating that I had a Provident Fund accumulation to claim. I arranged for the sum to be sent by cheque via a friend in Delhi (they could not send it directly to the UK), but between Delhi & London the cheque was lost. Now the company are asking me for a 100Rs indemnity bond for them to cancel the cheque and reissue a new one, but I can't do that from the UK. They say I need an advocat in India, but I don't have one.

What do you suggest?


 4 Replies

Mugundhan (Lawyer)     23 July 2010

you can execute the indemnity bond in plain paper in u.k., get it notarised there, get the counter signature of the Indian embassy and then send it to ur friend in India. Then your friend can get it adjudicated here and pay the requisite stamp duty of rs.100/-. Then it becomes a valid document and can be produced to the company with request to re issue the cheque. Best of luck

Sarah Lloyd-Hughes (n/a)     23 July 2010

Thanks Mugundhan, that's very helpful :-)

Where can I find the appropriate legal language for the document? Is there a template somewhere on this site?

Mugundhan (Lawyer)     23 July 2010

Usually every company or institution do have their own format or insist on a specific format of an indemnity bond. So check it out whether they have any format. If they say that they don't have their own format, you can draft it yourselves. You have to state the facts and the important thing is that you have to declare that you will indemnify the company against any loss if any which it may incur on account of re issuing the cheque for you.You also have to give a declaration that you would not claim any further money. But first ask for format if any in the company.

1 Like

T.R. Ganesan (Advocate)     13 August 2010

Yes, Mr. Mugundhan, Lawyer is absolutely correct in nswering to the query of Mr. Sarah Lloyd Hughes.

I fully concur with the answer.


T.R. Ganesan,Lawyer

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query