LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shaik abdul (tl)     21 July 2011

I am accused in false 498a case..need help for 182 ipc


My wife has filed false 498a and on me  and all my family members. Court has remanded me and i went to jail n took bail.

Need your help as all of my family members are in the accused list, what are the options i have to lodge a complain u/s 182 against my wife?

Awaiting valuable suggestions.

Thanks a lot


 9 Replies

Adv B.B.Gambhir #9814820602 (advocate)     21 July 2011

Brother you can not filed an complaint against your wife under section 182 as the decision of the court has not come yet. the court has not accuitted you from the levelled offences. it is better to  move an application before the higher police authorities or before the Hon'ble High court for conducting re enquiry or face the trial and fight the case. 

it is hapening in india the women are taking undue advantage of 498 A. as per the survay conducted in the year 2010, only 1 out of 500 was found guilty of above said offence. other 499 are found falsely implicated in 498 A IPC. 1999-2009 in these ten year only 22000 out of 500000 got punished in the above said sections rest of the persons were found innocent by the courts.  these are the horrible acts in India it should be ammended.





2 Like

a.b.natraj (inicitar)     29 January 2012


Hi Friends,

I seek your help in this matter.

1) If a person has been acquitted in any criminal case and wants to lodge a complaint under section 182 IPC against the complainant. What are the options with him.

2) What if the police is not ready to file the case u/s 182 IPC against the complainant?

3) How and under which section can the person approch the court to get justice for himself.

4) how to file a complaint as per s182 of ipc can we give in our complaint to book under s182 or the decision rests with the police or should the judge direct the police can anyone please suggest and advise


Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     30 January 2012

Only Public servant can file a complaint u/s 182 of IPC.


If the applicant is aggrieved, he can go to the senior officer only.





Shonee Kapoor


Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     30 January 2012



Unless you are acquitted, this section is of no help to you.





Shonee Kapoor


Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     07 December 2012

How to fight a false 498A ?



"For men in India marriage is a lottery but you can’t tear up your ticket even if you lose” and it’s not just you who would have to live with the lost lottery but your entire family may have to suffer at the hands of a system so grossly skewed in favour of women.


Marriages may fall apart for a lot of reasons, temperamental issues, compatibility problems, but does that make you an offender in the eyes of law? Yes it does, your estranged wife in order to have her way in arm-twisting you may implicate you and your family in end number of false cases, 498A being the foremost.


498A penalizes cruelty for dowry, almost always comes along with S.406 Allegations which basically penalize the criminal breach of trust, when your wife’s articles are entrusted to you and you fail to return them back – misappropriate them or convert them to own use – you are criminally liable !. By aid of S.34 of the Indian Penal Code – your family/relatives can be held liable for the same if they share the common intention with you.


Now if you think that you have a wife who can potentially do this for money or the kicks that her ego gets out of the same or pure vengeance then you are my friend in a vulnerable situation, but there is a silver lining to this, there are legal strategies that may help minimize, if not completely rule out, the damage or mischief that may occur to you.


Being a Supreme Court Advocate and a Men's Rights Activist I speak from experience, the following things may(if done correctly) help in a lot of cases :-


1. Insist on a dowry-less marriage - Preparing of list of articles received at the time of marriage, countersigned by both the families, would help rule out exaggerated claims later !


2. Digging the well before the fire starts; when trouble starts at home you apprise all concerned of the problems that you are facing, not for the purposes of any action but information;


If you see things going awry in near future, then it would be good idea to seperate from parents to a rented house with sufficient public notices;


3. As per the prevailing law atleast here in Delhi, if your wife approaches a Police Station with her complaint, she is to be forwarded CAW CELL instituted to try and reconcile and investigate and act as buffers so that penal actions are not initiated right away. Once the matter goes to CAW Cell – apply for an anticipatory bail , you are sure to get notice bail atleast – this would help in two ways :-


a) Give you greater confidence, level playing field in the CAW Cell talks;


b) Prevent any hasty arrest on failure of conciliation;


All in all nothing to lose in this and in this step 1. Would help a great deal.


4. Seek a copy of complaint via RTI ASAP, since they deny at the first instance you’d have to appeal there from which may take some time. There are CIC Decisions that would help you here.


5. In the event of an FIR being registered apply for AB again, and quashing of FIR (not always depends on the kind of allegations leveled)


6. Filing Restitution of Conjugal Rights (case that you want her back) may help in some cases, but not in all. Sometimes it helps in defending maintenance cases, and showing your bona fides.


7. Keep a check on your wife’s finances. Would come handy defending maintenance cases.


8. Prosecution (S.340 CrpC) for perjury in cases of false & exaggerated claims in maintenance petitions.


9. Tax Evasion Petitions once you get the List of Istridhan may also help put pressure.


10. Dowry Prohibition Act – penalizes giving of dowry so in case there is a clear admission of DOWRY (not Istridhan) then in that case your in laws are also liable to be prosecuted. Think on these lines !


11. With a marital property law on the anvil, don't buy property in your name, much less jointly with spouse.


The above may go a great deal helping you defend correctly, my advise would be to stand your ground, don’t give in to their extortionate tactics, once you’d get an AB the worst would already be over and after that the judicial system with it’s endemic delays won’t treat your wife differently, sooner or later she would realize that frivolous litigation doesn’t pay !


The Author is a Supreme Court Advocate, and a Mens Rights Activist and can be reached at bharat.law06@gmail.com

1 Like

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     07 December 2012

Dear Querist

you can file a false/malicous prosecution case against her after your acquital otherwise not.

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     07 December 2012

Dear Querist

you can file a false/malicous prosecution case against her after your acquital otherwise not.

Munirathnam (Scientist)     12 December 2012

If accused feels that there is case attracting section 182 of IPC then the accused could do the below:


  1. File application in court for further investigation U/s 173(8) of CrPC for further investigation.
  2. File discharge petition after police submit report U/s 173(8) of CrPC.
  3. Then file case U/s 211 of IPC against the complainant and lw witnesses.


here you are turning the police in your favor hence police will support your case if sufficient evidecne is present.

Sanjay Waghmode (Education)     24 September 2014

My wife filed false 498a case on me and my family I want to use sec 182 on her , my case is just started how much long time I have to wait for use of 182 sec is it applied for false DV act

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register