Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

venkygr8   31 December 2019

Husband divorce filed ,wife filed rcr as counter claim

Respected Gurus,

This is a stragne situation for my brother , who filed divorce OP in family Court Secundrabad u/S 13 1 (a) on 23.01.2015 , summons issued to the Respondent/wife om 15.02.2015 , without participating in the divorce proceedings , without failing WS in the divorce OP , she filed a OP for restitution of conjugal rights .

My Concern here :

1) is it permissible without filing WS in OP filing another OP and make a separate claim 

2) Court can treat the OP filed by Respondent/wife as a counter claim or a separate OP.

Please clarify .

Thanl you .

Learning

6 Replies

Shashi Dhara   31 December 2019

File objections with sufficient reasons or application to club both.

Shashi Dhara   31 December 2019

File objections with sufficient reasons.

K Rajasekharan (Advocate)     01 January 2020

Yes, the filing of another OP as stated above is a counter move for a counter claim of no divorce at all.

K Rajasekharan (Advocate)     01 January 2020

Yes, it is an independent OP, permissible by law. But the filing of another OP as stated above is a counter move for a counter claim of no divorce at all.

venkygr8   02 January 2020

Respected Rajsekharan Sir , 

appreciate your reply , recently she/Respondent  obtained ex-parte decree in RCR and then 15 days back filed counter in divorce OP . Moreover in RCR she stated that she recieved summons for the divorce OP .

therefore my contention here is : She has to file teh written statement and specify her contetion for the counter claim i.e RCR , but here , without filing WS , simply obtained the exparte decree in RCR , then filing the counter/WS in teh divorce OP , this is totally contrary to Order 8 CPC , placing here under .

Counter claim [Order VIII, Rules 6-A to 6-G]

“Counterclaim” may be defined as “a claim made by the defendant in a against the plaintiff”. It is a claim independent of, and separable from, suit plaintiff’s claim which can be enforced by a cross-action. It is a cause of action in favour of the defendant against the plaintiff.

In addition to pleading a set-off in a suit, the defendant may also set-up a counter-claim. The term “counter-claim” means a claim raised by the defendant against the claim of plaintiff in a suit. It is essentially and substantially a cross-action of the defendant. It may be described as a cause of action accruing to defendant against the plaintiff. However, such cause of action must accrue before filing of written statement by the defendant. As such, the defendant may set-up a counter-claim only in respect of a claim for which the defendant can file an independent suit. However, the defendant must specifically state in his written statement that he is setting-up a counter-claim.

as per my understannding , the entire proceedings of RCR is illegal.

K Rajasekharan (Advocate)     02 January 2020

Sir, Sorry to say that I used the term "counter claim" in a figurative manner and not as a legal term. But you are considering it as a legal term. Do the rules of counter claim does not apply here as if in a money suit. In family matters each one is a separate OP, unconnected from each other, though the dispute stems from the same source. So the other party has every right to use the strategies and procedural loopholes to get a desired decree, even against substantive justice. So it seems that you must treat each petition independent of the other and an individual one while approaching the issue.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register