30% OFF on all Law Courses until 10th of July. Enroll Now. Use Code: July30
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Deekshit Kumar (private)     13 May 2016

How to get death certificate of my father

Dear All,

It was very unfortunate that my father who was separated from us by a divorce decree 18 years ago, happened to be expired. He has pension issues going on at his Government department and he did not receive pension since 9 years. Though he was not in touch with us, he kept our names under nominees in the pension papers, which I got through RTI from the government office.

I am in a very bad situation to know that my father expired and we got to know after few days; this is because he kept us uninformed about his whereabouts. Now, my question is as he was living somewhere and we do not know that place exactly and we were informed by some far-away relatives who knew that my father expired few days back.

Though this is not right situation to ask about this question, but we do not want to leave the issue aside and hence my approach to this forum. Kindly help us to receive the pension related amount of my father, how to approach the Government office and how to get a death certificate as he is not in touch with us for many days.

Please guide me in this situation.




 23 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 May 2016


Obtain cremation certificate from the Shamshaan Bhumi ( Cremation Grounds) office and submit to Registrar Death and Births.

If it has already been obtained you can obtain copies.


Deekshit Kumar (private)     13 May 2016

Thank you, is there any other alternative way than this. Will the death certificate suffice to submit at the government head office where my father used to work and get pension.


Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 May 2016

Death certificate is rquired to register death.

Rest procedure can be otained from his office.


Deekshit Kumar (private)     13 May 2016

In the event of not submitting any death certificate and we knew after few days that my father expired as he was not in touch with us for many many years.....and if nothing is done by our side to settling the pension issue...will the govt. office people approach for any legal heirs or nothing will be done about this. If they come to know that my father has been expired and in case we have not known this, will we be informed as legal heirs and as we have been mentioned as nominees in pension papers and as we were in touch with the same office through RTI previously.

Thank you

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 May 2016

You have yourself posted that: "He has pension issues going on at his Government department and he did not receive pension since 9 years. '

Apparently for some reasons the Dept has already decided and declined to pay pension. So they may not contact.


Death is to be proved by death certificate, decree of civil death.


Rest procedure can be otained from his office.

Employee's union leaders, Labor law Consultant can help.


1 Like

Deekshit Kumar (private)     13 May 2016

Thanks a lot, Mr. Kumar Doab.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 May 2016


You are welcome.

Wish you the very best.


Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     14 May 2016

not clear


you said


"He has pension issues going on at his Government department and he did not receive pension since 9 years. "


what was the hurdle in pension?

did he receive no pension since retirement?

was he retired or dismissed?


Deekshit Kumar (private)     17 May 2016

Sudhir Kumar Sir, Namasthe;

Yes my father had lot of service record issues, i did not know exact issues but he misused the raw material in his department and he has been absconding whenever some inquiry was put at him and again he is absorbed into the department after some days....his happened at many places till his retirement and hence his service record was not regularly updated and has many disciplenary actions taken against him.  that is the reason...he was suspended and taken again, but not dismissed and hence his pension was stuck and not given to him.

He  retired in the year 2008.

 hope i am clear.



Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 May 2016

did he retire during pendancy of a chargesheet or undr suspension.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 May 2016

You sdid he was seperated since 18 years by divorce so your mother was no more his wife and is not at all entitled to any pension even if he received any pension during life time.


what do you want now?

what is the project on whcih you wasn tto invest statioary and postage?

Deekshit Kumar (private)     17 May 2016

Dear Sir,

When he retired, he is not under suspension.

Actually, when we sought information from his office through RTI, my name was mentioned under nominees in his pension papers.

As his pension is pending and myself as nominee, can i expect any monetary benefits from his pension as he did not receive his pension since 2008 and he is no more now.

Please also let me know if under disciplinary action, can the pension amount be cancelled by any Govt. Office?


Kumar Doab (FIN)     17 May 2016

You are nominee and legal heir.

It is felt that Post death of your father you can step in his shoes and stake claim.


1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 May 2016

I am not able to agree with any view of the experts above because these are based on improper facts presented by you.


In fact you are (firstly) now aware of the full facts (secondly ) not sharing the facts which you know.


Earlier you did not tell that you were his pension nominee.


I asked you whether he retired under suspension or chargesheet. 

You replied that he retired under service and not suspension.


You seem to be unaware that suspended employee is also in service and he cannot join duty and draw full wages. If he reitres he cannot draw pension and gratuity.


You have still not disclosed whether any chargesheet was pending at the time of inquiry and if so it resulted in which decision.

I do not expect that a chargesheet or inquiry could be pending so long after retirement (unless accused successfully entered delactaroy tactics).


In case he died under chargesheet then the charges abate.

You have stated that you are nominee for pension.  Such nomination is relevant only if


  1. He was in receipt of any pension (or become eligible) when he died.
  2. You are not above 21
  3. you are not maried
  4. you have not started earning.

Please get full facts and share the same with the eprson/forum from whom you seek legal advise. failing which never dream of a correct advise.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query