Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aditya Vikram   11 May 2023

How to claim my ancestral land which belongs to my grandfather?

Hi There,

I want to know if there are any chances I can try to claim 35 acres of ancestral land that belongs to my grandfather.

My great-grandfather had 2 sons, my grandfather, and his elder brother. My grandfather died when my father was 6-7 years of age, and my grandmother came back to her's father's house after that to take care of my father and my uncle.

Meanwhile, During that time my grandfather's elder brother had some shady deals and he sold/gave my grandfather's property ( which then belonged to my grandmother by some shady ways, telling them that they are no more, forging her thumb impression etc) to some other people in Mirzapur.

My grandmother tried a lot but nothing happened, we only got some 1-2 acre of land which was left.

I had no clue about this but now as I know, I want to know if we can do anything about that?  We don't have any papers of the same but the property belonged to my grandfather on paper after the demise of my great-grandfather

I'll really appreciate your help.

Learning

1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     11 May 2023

If you have the property related documents and if the property still remains on your grandfather or his wife, i.e., your grandmother's name, then your father and his brother can claim their legitimate share in the property by filing a suit for declaration of title and possession of property.

If your father is not living then you can file the said suit on behalf of you and your mother and siblings as successors to your father.

You may consult a local lawyer and proceed as suggested.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register