How can I get a copyright for my works?


How can I get a copyright for my works? And What is the procedure for the same?

An application for Registration of copyright along with statement of particulars and statement of further particulars(Form No.iv) accompanied by the prescribed fee at the Copyright office of the Department of Education,New Delhi.This is the common procedure.




Along with the application,three copies of the work is also necessary.


Shine answered. Thanks shine

advocate / commissioner of oaths

copyrights should be registered through the copyrights societies duly authorisd by the registrar of copyrights.

An application annexed with the copy of your works should be sent to the copyrights society with a requisite fees. The society will proceed with the process of registration and after gettting registered your works get the protection from infringement under section 51 of the copyrights Act,1957.


Chapter VI of the Copyright Rules, 1956, as amended, sets out the procedure for the registration of a work. Copies of the Act and Rules can be obtained from the Manager of Publications, Publication Branch, Civil Lines, Delhi or his authorised dealers on payment. The procedure for registration is as follows:

a.       Application for registration is to be made on Form IV ( Including Statement of Particulars and Statement of Further Particulars) as prescribed in the first schedule to the Rules ;
b.      Separate applications should be made for registration of each work;
c.       Each application should be accompanied by the requisite fee prescribed in the second schedule to the Rules ; and
d.      The applications should be signed by the applicant or the advocate in whose favour a Vakalatnama or Power of Attorney has been executed. The Power of Attorney signed by the party and accepted by the advocate should also be enclosed.
Each and every column of the Statement of Particulars and Statement of Further Particulars should be replied specifically.
Both published and unpublished works can be registered. Copyright in works published before 21st January, 1958, i.e., before the Copyright Act, 1957 came in force, can also be registered, provided the works still enjoy copyright. Three copies of published work may be sent along with the application. If the work to be registered is unpublished, a copy of the manuscript has to be sent along with the application for affixing the stamp of the Copyright Office in proof of the work having been registered. In case two copies of the manuscript are sent, one copy of the same duly stamped will be returned, while the other will be retained, as far as possible, in the Copyright Office for record and will be kept confidential. It would also be open to the applicant to send only extracts from the unpublished work instead of the whole manuscript and ask for the return of the extracts after being stamped with the seal of the Copyright Office.
When a work has been registered as unpublished and subsequently it is published, the applicant may apply for changes in particulars entered in the Register of Copyright in Form V with prescribed fee.

Application for registration of copyright alongwith statement of particulars and instructions for filling up the statement of particulars are at Appendix - I.

Trust this answers your query Rohan.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x