LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

R K Chauhan (Superintendent)     19 May 2010

HOUSE PRICES MAY GO UP 4% ON SERVICE TAX

Kudos to Mr. Shah for an enlightening piece of information. The rate of service being 10.3% at present, the proposed increase would translate into a net tax @2.58% on the price of the flat. Recent trends in the indirect taxation particularly in the area of service tax tend to show that it is making inroads into the arena of sales tax, purely a state subject. Of late, the matter of overlapping of taxation in areas such as those pertaining to work contracts, construction of complexes, renting of immovable property etc. indiactes a shift in taxing statutes.  With GST on the cards, it is testing times for a major issue of sharing of reveune between the centre and states. Let's hope the new GST regime settles the disputes to a large extent. Litigation will, however, alwatys be a part and parcel of taxation.... 

Learning

3 Replies

R K Chauhan (Superintendent)     19 May 2010

Kudos to Mr. Shah for an enlightening piece of information. The rate of service being 10.3% at present, the proposed increase would translate into a net tax @2.58% on the price of the flat. Recent trends in the indirect taxation particularly in the area of service tax tend to show that it is making inroads into the arena of sales tax, purely a state subject. Of late, the matter of overlapping of taxation in areas such as those pertaining to work contracts, construction of complexes, renting of immovable property etc. indiactes a shift in taxing statutes.  With GST on the cards, it is testing times for a major issue of sharing of reveune between the centre and states. Let's hope the new GST regime settles the disputes to a large extent. Litigation will, however, alwatys be a part and parcel of taxation.... 

Vineet (Director)     19 May 2010

Do Agree Mr Chauhan. All these indirect taxes are creating a huge confusion and inequity. Consider this on registered agreement for sale of a single flat in Mumbai: 1. State Government charges stamp duty on full value of consideration as if the agreement for conveyance 2. Now State Government will charge VAT of 1% on the sale consideration (Will somebody decide the sale is of immovable property or taxable commodity) 3. Central Government will levy 2.575% service tax as the agreement to sale has been executed before actual posession. (Who is correct state government which trates this transaction as transfer of immovable property or central goverment which treats as a service agreement for construction of residential dwelling) and life......moves on....poor taxpayer!!!!!

bhaskar (MD)     28 July 2011

I am bhaskar from Pune, I have taken new 1bhk flat which is under contruction and paid for property agreement that includes registration,stamp duty, and franking. I paid full flat cost(Rs.1497000/-) and is going to be finished in next month. Builder was shown service tax only on his checklist form and he committed on the same. Now Builder is asking me to pay service tax and vat towards to his account.

1. What is the current service tax and VAT?

2. Still do I need to pay both?

3. what is the value for my flat cost?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register