LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

khushboo suthar   31 March 2018

Hindu wife change her religion

I am hindu by birth and married to a Hindu boy of the same caste two years ago. I want to change my religion to Christianity. It's my faith thing. Can I do so? what are procedures for it, if its done legally by government permission or I can simply go to church for baptism. will it affect my marriage status?

Learning

5 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     31 March 2018

Go to church get baptized to Christian religion. No government permission required. After conversion to Christian religion your Hindu husband can seek dissolution of marriage on the basis of this ground. No automatic dissolution unless your husband apply in the family court .

Arjun Sai Krishnan   31 March 2018

You were born as hindu,grown up as hindu, educated as hindu,married as hindu, and now you are thinking to renounce your religion to a new so the marriage will become invalid and you can convert to christianity by following the rituals and rules provided under Indian Christian Marriage Act,1872

Arjun Sai Krishnan   31 March 2018

no automatic dissolution of marriage happens here

Siddharth Srivastava (Advocate)     31 March 2018

There is as such no restriction in changing the religion. 

RAJAGANAPATHY (ADVOCATE)     31 March 2018

You are free to embrace Christianity. Any church of your faith and convenience will arrange for it. After informing your husband of the conversion if he chooses to have s*x and continue to live with you he can not seek for divorce. It amounts waiving of his right. Your kids and parents will inherit your properties as per Indian succession act not under Hindu succession act. As law applicable to Christian you can not adopt a child if you have no issues. Your children will be legitimate only. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register