LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

TGW (student)     21 June 2011

Helping an old woman

I just got this through email and would like to share with you people here.Let me know your views.:::

Hi, this is Rama Das. I am 80 years old. After the death of my husband, since he left no will of the property (house and garden land) it was divided between my only daughter and me , 1/2 each. There was no legal procedure done for that and i did not give it importance due to it was a succession procedure. My daughter is a divorcee and I have only a grandson from her. They have been living with me for 23 years. I had made a will in favour of my daughter 10 years ago, but recently I have noticed that she is not taking care of me. My grandson is the only person left in the world who takes care of me and buys medicine, food for me with his own earnings as he is self employed. My daughter is considering a second marriage and both me and my grandson are concerned about our future. I have decided to give away my portion of the house to my grandson because i fear my life may be at risk if i still have a will in my daughters name. So I want to know that it possible to write a new will for my grandson and after that will is registered give the property as a gift deed to him. After giving the property (deed or will) is there any way my daughter or her to be second husband can claim my property or the property that i give to my grandson. Please let me know as this is a major decision and there is no one who cares for me except my grandson. And he is regularly humiliated by his mother and her friend for helping me. I am very worried and want him safe. thank you. Also though it is too late now, is there anyway to check if my husband had registered any will at the court which might have been destroyed by my daughter during my ignorance.

Learning

1 Replies

kumar t v s (advocate)     21 June 2011

Madam you can certainly register a new will and cancell all previous wills. If you decide to register a new will there is no need for any gift deed and the ''will'' comes into force after your demise.

I would suggest that you should discuss the new WILL issue with other elders in your family and with their consent execute the new WILL.

Kumar TVS

Advocate 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register