LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

YesTruthWins (TCom)     01 January 2010

Help ..

I got married (still unconsummated and not registered) in late apr 09 this year in south and brought bride to matrimonial home (within 3 days she asked for divorce saying its forced marraige infront of her parents but somehow they fell at my feet and subsidised the matter and not even for 1 day she talked to me as a wife). a day later as per customs their mther,father,uncle came to our house and she started saying same that she wants to get divorce as she isnt liking me. my mother is arthiritis patient and can barely walk, my dad is no more. b4 marraige itself we made things clear by flying my mother down at thier house to show her health and what is expected of bride (we todl that she can work also if she wants). i cudnt take anyfurther as my b/day also fell in between and she didnt wish me. when brother in laws and sister tried to ascertain the problem she threw in requests like she will mix with anyone she wants and no one shd stop and that she will go to offie and comback any odd time and no one shd utter a word.. all said and done she left on first week may with her parents i took in wirting from her that she is going on her own will and that she is taking back all her things and that its still unconsummated marraige and a marraige that was forced onher by her paretns wihtout her consent.she also wrote that she is writing thhis letter on her own will and is going for separation. back home her mother started sending mails and in every mail htat i replied i made a point to make that she was the one who asked for divorce always and her mother was like we shd talk on chat/phone to understand. finally i got a mail from her going U turn (like v forced her to write that letter and that our relatives talks made her accept this marraige blah blah) . she also said in a mail that if i relocate to her city and stay with her alone (wihtout my sick mom) she hopes for better marraige. after that she mailed saying that she got a job in noida which is 32 km from our house and her mom told my sis on phone that she wud be staying in hostel so that v cud talk/meet and once comfortable she wud come to matrimonial home (bullsh*t). i just said on mail she can come to my house to stay but no to hostel and that she can come and live and search job in delhi (which i wud help) ..her mom mailed back that her daughter wud come back provided she has job in delhi,we dont impose orthodoxicity (we never did) and she has called me gentleman many times adn my family as intellectual.now its stalemate - i learnt that she joined some mnc (co name i know) at her place. wenever i called her or mailed her asking her to come back (4-5) mails she never replied or answers my call. i came to this helping site after all this as i fear i might have potential problem in my wife...advocate says the self letter she wrote may/may not be useful . he has suggested 3 options- 1.sending notice 2. snding RCR (but i read forums that sending RCR might provoke her to file 498) 3. put issue in back burner and continue my normal life (sending notices every month). i m really confused and worried ..please suggest ...is alimony a mandatory thing (why shd i pay for no blunder of mine ?)

Learning

13 Replies

Devajyoti Barman (Advocate)     01 January 2010

In the present circumstances I find  filing RCR is the best option. Paying alimony to the respondent is mandatory if she is found to be not able to maintain herself. Which side is at fault is to be decided later and not at the time of disposing petiton for alimony pendenta-lite.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     01 January 2010

File RCR before Family Court.

YesTruthWins (TCom)     14 February 2010

What are the chances that i file for annulment and get the marraige void ? Isnt the letter written by her sufficient proof that it was a forced marriage?  how does one prove that marriage was not consummated by a guy;s perspective ? and wht will happen if court does not grant annulment - do i need to pay damages ? 

Thanks  

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     14 February 2010

The documents you have regarding forced marriage is useless for you. because according to hindu marriage act, forced means forced by the other party, not the party itself.

in your case, her perents forced on her, thats why you can not pray on theground of forced marriage.

sec 9 may be done, but according to my consideration, it is a fit case for mutual divorce. you both do not have any complain against the other. she is asking divorce, you also not interested to save the marriage, therefore mutual divorce is best. it will take less time and efforts.

"13B. Divorce by mutual consent.

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Act a petition for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce may be presented to the district court by both the parties to a marriage together, whether such marriage was solemnized before or after the commencement of the Marriage Laws (Amendment) Act, 1976, (68 of 1976.) on the ground that

they have been living separately for a period of one year or more,

that they have not been able to live together and

that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

(2) On the motion of both the parties made not earlier than six months after the date of the presentation of the petition referred to in sub-section (1) and not later than eighteen months after the said date, if the petition is not withdrawn in the meantime, the court shall, on being satisfied, after hearing the parties and after making such inquiry as it thinks fit, that

a marriage has been solemnized and

that the averments in the petition are true,

pass a decree of divorce declaring the marriage to be dissolved with effect from the date of the decree"

As your marriage held on apr 09, then entitlement will come on apr 10. you have to wait upto that time, in the meantime prepare her for mutual divorce, and payment if it needs to her at all. actually you are innocent here. you are trapped to their family clash.

they do seem to be willing for mutual divorce. they are tying to bring dowry angle to it now by saying v asked approx 22k dowry for cot,almirah etc. they had given a draft for that which was encashed sadly..they are not talking to us but writing on mails...what do i do to safeguard myself then if annulment is not possible..thnks

you tell her that a complain will ruin the atmosphere. better come on mutual divorce. otherwise both the parties will suffer. you try for mutual divorce first; if it fails, report here next stage will be telling. if it is in need please give a little monetary benifit to her, because other lines are more expensive and tensionable.

mind it do not pay anything to her right now. first payment do at time of joint signature at court and second payment at the time of last hearing. it is also reported that one party cheated the the other after getting money. careful on it.

Does court take into account various factors like how long they were together etc and whether its consummated or not before arriving at an alimony amount ? How much can i expect that i need to pay her if at all ? is it a problem that whenever a guy files for divorce he has to pay alimony because i cant stand this tension day in and day out...

matrimonial acts are being used now as anti male stand. males are victim of it.

Sir, please reply to my alimony query

HMA/Sec.24.Maintenance Pendente lite and expenses proceedings.

Where in any proceeding under this Act it appears to the court that either the wife or the husband, as the case may be,

has no independent  income sufficient for her or his support and

the necessary expenses of the proceeding, it may,

on the application of the wife or the husband, order the respondent to pay to the petitioner the expenses of the proceeding, and monthly during the proceeding such sum as, having regard to the petitioner's own income and the income of the respondent, it may seem to the court to be reasonable.

(separate application to be given mentioning the sec. – and petioner and respondent will be decided according to this petition)

HMA/Sec 25. Permanent alimony and maintenance.

(1)Any court exercising jurisdiction under this Act may, at the time of passing any decree or at any time subsequent thereto, on application made to it for the purpose by either the wife or the husband, as the case may be, order that the respondent shall pay to the applicant for her or his maintenance and support such gross sum or such monthly or periodical sum for a term not exceeding the life of the applicant as, having regard to the

respondent's own income and

other property, if any,

the income and other property of the applicant,

the conduct of the parties and

other circumstances of the case, it may seem to the court to be just,

and any such payment may be secured,

if necessary, by a charge on the immovable property of the respondent.

(2) If the court is satisfied that

there is a change in the circumstances of either party at any time after it has made an order under sub-section (1), it may at the instance of either party, vary, modify or rescind any such order in such manner as the court may deem just.

(3) If the court is satisfied that the party in whose favour an order has been made under this section has re-married or, if such party is the wife, that she has not remained chaste, or, if such party is the husband, that he has had s*xual intercourse with any woman outside wedlock, it may at the instance of the other party vary, modify or rescind any such order in such manner as the court may deem just.

(separate application to be given mentioning the sec. – and petioner and respondent will be decided according to this petition)

CRPC/Sec 125. Order for maintenance of wives, children and parents.

(1) If any person having sufficient means neglects or refuses to maintain- (a) his wife, unable to maintain herself, or

b) his legitimate or illegitimate minor child, whether married or not, unable to maintain itself, or

(c) his legitimate or illegitimate child (not being a married daughter) who has attained majority, where such child is, by reason of any physical or mental abnormality or injury unable to maintain itself, or

(d) his father or mother, unable to maintain himself or herself, a Magistrate of the first class may, upon proof of such neglect or refusal, order such person to make a monthly allowance for the maintenance of his wife or such child, father or mother, at such monthly rate not exceeding five hundred rupees in the whole, as such Magistrate thinks fit, and to pay the same to such person as the Magistrate may from time to time direct : Provided that the Magistrate may order the father of a minor female child referred to in clause (b) to make such allowance, until she attains her majority, if the Magistrate is satisfied that the husband of such minor female child, if married, is not possessed of sufficient means. Explanation.-For the purposes of this Chapter,-

(a) "minor" means a person who, under the provisions of the Indian Majority Act, 1875 (9 of 1875); is deemed not to have attained his majority;

(b) "wife" includes a woman who has been divorced by, or has obtained a divorce from, her husband and has not remarried.

(2) Such allowance shall be payable from the date of the order, or, if so ordered, from the date of the application for maintenance

(3) If any person so ordered fails without sufficient cause to comply with the order, any such Magistrate may, for every breach of the order, issue a warrant for levying the amount due in the manner provided for levying fines, and may sentence such person, for the whole or any part of each month's allowances remaining unpaid after the execution of the warrant, to imprisonment for a term which may extend to one month or until payment if sooner made: Provided that no warrant shall be issued for the recovery of any amount due under this section unless application be made to the Court to levy such amount within a period of one year from the date on which it became due : Provided further that if such person offers to maintain his wife on condition of her living with him, and she refuses to live with him, such 866 Magistrate may consider any grounds of refusal stated by her, and may make an order under this section notwithstanding such offer, if he is satisfied that there is just ground for so doing. Explanation.-If a husband has contracted marriage with another woman or keeps a mistress, it shall be considered to be just ground for his wife's refusal to live with him.

(4) No Wife shall be entitled to receive an allowance from her husband under this section if she is living in adultery, or

If , without any sufficient reason, she refuses to live with her husband,

or if they are living separately by mutual consent.

(5) On proof that any wife in whose favour an order has been made under this section is living in adultery, or that without sufficient reason she refuses to live with her husband, or that they are living separately by mutual consent, the Magistrate shall cancel the order.

CRPC/Sec 126.Procedure.

(1) Proceedings under section 125 may be taken against any person in any district-

(a) where he is, or

(b) where he or his wife, resides, or

(c) where he last resided with his wife, or as the case may be,        with the mother of the illegitimate child.

(2) All evidence in such proceedings shall be taken in the presence of the person against whom an order for payment of maintenance is proceed to be made, or, when his personal attendance is dispensed with, in the presence of his pleader, and shall be recorded in the manner prescribed for summons-cases: Provided that if the Magistrate is satisfied that the person against whom an order for payment of maintenance is proposed to be made is wilfully avoiding service, or wilfully neglecting to attend the Court, the Magistrate may proceed to hear and determine the case ex parte and any order so made may be set aside for good cause shown on an application made within three months from the date thereof subject to such terms including terms at to payment of costs to the opposite party as the Magistrate may think just and proper.

(3) The Court in dealing with applications under section 125 shall have power to make such order as to costs as may be just. 867

CRPC/Sec 127.Alteration in allowance.

(1) On proof of a change in the circumstances of any person, receiving, under section 125 a monthly allowance, or ordered under the same section to pay a monthly allowance to his wife, child, father or mother, as case may be, the Magistrate may make such alteration in the allowance he thinks fit : Provided that if he increases the allowance, the monthly rate of five hundred rupees in the whole shall not be exceeded.

(2) Where it appears to the Magistrate that, in consequence of any decision of a competent Civil Court, any order made under section 125 should be cancelled or varied, he shall cancel the order or, as the case may be, vary the same accordingly.

(3) Where any order has been made under section 125 in favour of a woman who has been divorced by, or has obtained a divorce from, her husband, the Magistrate shall, if he is satisfied that-

(a) the woman has, after the date of such divorce, remarried, cancel such order as from the date of her remarriage;

(b) the woman has been divorced by her husband and that she has received, whether before or after the date of the said order, the whole of the sum which, under any customary or personal law applicable to the parties, was payable on such divorce, cancel such order,-

(i) in the case where, such sum was paid before such order, from the date on Which such order was made,

(ii) in any other case, from the date of expiry of the period, if any, for which maintenance has been actually paid by the husband by the woman;

(c) the woman has obtained a divorce from her husband and that she had voluntarily surrendered her rights to maintenance after her divorce, cancel the order from the date thereof.

(4) At the time of making any decree for the recovery of any maintenance or dowry by any person, to whom a monthly allowance has been ordered to be paid under section 125, the Civil Court shall take into account the sum which has been paid to, or recovered by, such person as monthly allowance in pursuance of the said order.

CRPC/Sec 128.Enforcement of order of maintenance.

A copy of the order of maintenance shall be given without payment to the person in whose favour it is made, or to his guardian, if any

or to the person to whom the allowance is to be paid; and such 868 order may be enforced by any Magistrate in any place where the person against whom it is made may be, on such Magistrate being satisfied as to the identity of the parties and the non-payment of the allowance due.

respondent's own income and

other property, if any,

the income and other property of the applicant,

the conduct of the parties and

other circumstances of the case, it may seem to the court to be just,

and any such payment may be secured,

if necessary, by a charge on the immovable property of the respondent.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     14 February 2010

If both are interested then file petition seeking divorce by mutual consent (under section 13 HM Act).

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register