LCI Learning
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mr. khan   04 March 2022

Harassment from parents after withdrawal of dowry harrassment case

My parents made mine and my wife's life living hell after the marriage of my elder brother as her wife brought lots of dowry, and even threw us out of the house, we resorted to filing case under 498A against my entire family including parents and two brothers, but due to some interference from family relatives we reached an out of court settlement where they would provide some money (which they didn't) so we can take a flat on rent, after the withdrawal of case/complaint my parents filed a complaint against me stating that I'm threatening to end their life and the constable incharge over there kept me in custody for almost 1.5 hrs stating a complaint under section 149 if i remember, now my parents' house has been raided by Torrent power limited as they were using the electricity without meter since past 10 years.
Now my parents along with my brothers are accusing that i filed the complaint for their electricity theft and said i would have to pay them money or otherwise me and my pregnant wife would face dire consequences.
My mother said i will make sure you lose your job this time and you stay inside the lockup for long.

Kindly help me and suggest what i can do.


 1 Replies

Palak batra   05 March 2022

Dear Querist,


One can use different legal weapons to protect themselves from their family and relatives. The provisions are stated below-


Section 498-A, Indian Penal Code- This section covers the cruelty committed either by the husband or by any relative of the husband against a woman. The cruelty may be physical or mental. This is a provision of law which was created for the very purpose to protect a woman from any harassment which she becomes a victim of in her matrimonial home. This is commonly known as the dowry harassment act.


Section 509, Indian Penal Code- If the in-laws use any words or phrases or make any gesture against her or do any act either in her presence or to her shall be punishable under this section. 


There are many other provisions, especially for the wife to file the case against her in-laws. One can seek remedy as per the torture they have gone through.




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register