LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sudhindra (Systems Engineer)     15 October 2012

Harassed for not able to pay loans

Hi All,

Two years back my mom went through a financial turmoil(no valid reasons) as she borrowed money from various people(friends and relatives) to the tune of upto 6 lakhs. I got to know about this last year and was left with no choice and repaid them all by selling my property etc. However, there was still one case pending where my mom had borrowed money of Rs 1,00,000k via some local chit fund run by a neighbour lady. I had paid 60k one year back and continued to pay 9k everymonth as the lady said i have to pay for 16 months. I have paid for 13 months so far and upon any delay she harasses my mom.

This month i could not pay due to some medical emergencies for my dad. she has been shouting at mom with threating words. Now, all of a sudden, she has said that still 12 months is pending. My mom does not have any records, nor that lady is sharing with me asking me not to interfere. All i have is regular bills of payments made to her along with initial payment. Mom has been regularly ill and she is not able to take this anymore. I have run out of everything at my disposal and not able to organise money.

Please suggest how to address this. I am not able to gain strength and fight back as both the lady and her husband are police officers. Can i approach police or take legal method?



 2 Replies

surjit singh (Assistant)     15 October 2012

Give her an advocate notice stating that all the due money has already been paid to her and request her through this notice not to harass your mother and in case of doing so remind her that you will be compell to approach the appropriate court/authority .

4WhatIsRight (partner)     15 October 2012

First find out whether it is a legal chit fund with valid permission for continuing such trade?

Secondly what documents did your mother sign at the time of taking loan?

Thirdly if the threats are becoming unbearable lodge a police complaint  mentioning the potential threat to life and property, along with a copy to senior officer- The Commisioner's Office.

Do not send any notice acknowledging receipt or payment of loan- wait for the other lady to initiate the battle.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register