LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Akhilesh Kumar Jha   07 June 2020

Goods right

Recently my father had placed order to buy some furniture ( bed, dining table and chair, almirah, etc) and had paid ₹20000 as advance payment. Now we are not in the city, and can't go back due to Covid-19.

My query is whether if I don't take the delivery now, will I face any problem later ( like after 6-7 months, when I will be taking the delivery of the goods).

I won't become ineligible to receive the goods and make the remaining payment at that time ( 6-7 months later)?

Thank you.

Learning

9 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     08 June 2020

Have you verified with the seller?

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     08 June 2020

Morally you are suppoused to inform the seller about your situation,however  if there is no receipt of payment signed by your father stating the payment received and balance due then you are legally not bound to pay or receive the goods ,. But moral obligation is to be fulfilled.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     08 June 2020

First, open a dialogue with the seller and get the issue compromised..  If the articles are made to your specific design exclusively for you, or imported at your instance for your use alone, there may be a problem otherwise the issue can be settled amicably.  You can even request the seller to deliver at any place you like and pay such transportation charges.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     08 June 2020

It will all depend on the agreement to purchase and wording of the receipt of advance. It will be prudent to settle the matter mutually.

Akhilesh Kumar Jha   08 June 2020

My father and the shopkeeper had a talk over the phone, he agreed to accept to deliver the goods after 6-7 months, without any conditions. But I have no proof he said that. The only proof I have is a "Bill" ( which have details about the goods and the money paid in-advance).

P. Venu (Advocate)     08 June 2020

In our country, most of the business, as well everyday life, is based on trust, not documents.

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     09 June 2020

Originally posted by : Akhilesh Kumar Jha
My father and the shopkeeper had a talk over the phone, he agreed to accept to deliver the goods after 6-7 months, without any conditions. But I have no proof he said that. The only proof I have is a "Bill" ( which have details about the goods and the money paid in-advance).

It appears in nutshell that you don't want to fulfill that commitment. The shopkeeper trusted you. Legally he can do nothing against you but morally you are sold ,keep your word and call the shopkeeper tell him about the consequiences.

P. Venu (Advocate)     09 June 2020

It appears that the author, an young man, is yet to imbibe the essentials of how business is carried on in our country.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     09 June 2020

What do you want from legal experts, when there is no dispute but intentions of the buyer?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register