Intellectual Property Rights: Practice and Drafting by Adv Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

socially backward (Social worker)     04 June 2022

Giving false age in affidevit

If a husband gives his false age in an affidavit in opposition in Court in a MAT suit,(given reduced age vis-a-vis aadhar,PAN or Voter ID,what may be the consequences for him as per law?


 1 Replies

Mahi Manchanda   21 June 2022


An affidavit is a sworn statement put in writing. When you use an affidavit, you're claiming that the information within the document is true and correct to the best of your knowledge.

Section 191 of IPC – Giving False Evidence

Whoever being legally bound by an oath or by an express provision of law to state the truth, makes any statement which is false, and which he either knows or believes to be invalid or untrue, is said to give false evidence. Under section 193 of IPC, the punishment is imprisonment either of a descripttion for a term which may extend to 7 years and shall be liable to fine, and whoever intentionally gives and fabricates false evidence in any other case, shall be punished with imprisonment of either descripttion of a term which may extend to 3 years and shall also be liable to fine.

Other sections which may be applicable are;

Sec 340 CrPC. filing the false affidavit or false statement before the court is an offence and the person who filed the same can be prosecuted for the offence of perjury Under 340 of Cr. P.C. along with 195 of Cr. P.C.

Section 2(a) of the Contempt of Court Act defines contempt as criminal contempt and civil contempt. The filing of false affidavits, forged documents and false statement on oaths falls under criminal contempt of court.

I hope i have answered your question.

Have a good day

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register