LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amit   23 April 2017

Girlfriend threatening suicide before breakup

I am working as a civil servant in India and came very close to a girl during last one month of our training. We just dated for a month and never had any physical relationship. We remained in contact over phone after that. Now after 3 months, she when I want to breakup she is threatening suicide. We both acknowledged from beginning that due to caste and family differences we can't get married. But now she is saying that she couldn't live without me and would commit suicide if i leave her, however we have only talked over phone since last 2 months of our 3 month relationship. Is I am liable in case she takes any harsh step and what should I do. Thankyou


 3 Replies

Suresh Kumar (NA)     23 April 2017

This is not a legal advice but a practical and effective one. 

you please start making a comment of her dressing sense or whatever she do, just start picking faults in her work. treat her as if she do not know anything. 

No one likes to get advice on a daily basis and get criticize from some expected. don't say break up but realize her you very critical to have you in her life. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 April 2017

what is your cast

what is her cast


This is important for forming a view.  This is also important for understanding how dangerous can the above advise be or how practicable could this be.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 April 2017

all tht she has to do is to give a complaint to the police.  She just has to allege rape stating that she agreed for relationship on promoise of marraige.


she can allege that you refused marriage due to failure of her parents to meet your dowry demand.


Now many persons on the forum will advise you on %age of the failure of prosecution in such cases and someone will advise you to not to scum down etc ....ect ... etc. 


Howewver you told you are govt servant and aboth the above allegation (irrespective of criminal nature) also also professiona misconduct for the govt servant wherein deptt doe snot have to wait for court verdict before initiating disciplinary case


Deptt may (or may not) if they so desire can revoke suspension and take you back on duty

The department can initiate disciplinary proceedings against you without waiting for the court orders and which , if proved (100% evidence is not required in departmental inquiry)can result in dismissal from service.

Further if you are arrested/released on bail you have a duty to inform the department, in writing failing which another disciplinary action can be taken against you irrespective of the merit of the case.

During the pendancy of the disciplinary / criminal case No promotion/ACP/NCF/SG / deputation / in-situ rank / clearing of probation / pension / gratuity will be there.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register