LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

han (ceo)     11 May 2010

Gift in Contemplation of Death

hi han here can i gift my nephew(my wife elder brother son) my house in the way of "Gift in Contemplation of Death " and avoid stamp duty in hyderabad india???? wot are legal problems and will stamp duty and gift tax be avoided completly???? pls clarify??!! my age is 75 and im a bypass patient!!!

Learning

5 Replies

Saket Gandhi (advocate)     11 May 2010

Han,

I would like to bring to your notice that under Section 191 of Indian Succession Act gifts in contemplation of Death (Donatio Mortis Causa) can only be given for moveable properties. Also such property must be specific one. You may further note that such property can also be taken back by the giver, who had given the same due to illness and was expecting to die, in case he recovers from his illness.

In your case you are willing to give your nephew a house, which is an immovable property. Therefore, such gift is complusorily registerable under section 17 (a) of the Registration Act. In my opinion you cannot gift such house in comtemplation of death.

Regards,

Saket.

ahmed (document writer)     13 May 2010

hi mr. han if you want to gift the property to you nephew after your demise, you execute registered will deed in favour of your nephew if the said property is purchased by you with your own fund if the said proeprty is inherited property in that even your leagl heirs having right to claim the share.

fees for the will deed is Rs.120/- only but the said will deed enforce after your demise.

Daksh (Student)     29 May 2010

Dear Ahmed,

As it is evident from your post at the time of getting the will probated still the Stamp Duty commensurating with the value of the property is liable to be paid.

Best Regards

Daksh

Seshagiri Viswanatha Rao (Asst Secy to Govt Retired)     06 June 2010

GPA

KINDLY DEFINE GENER POWER OF AYYORNEY

Seshagiri Viswanatha Rao (Asst Secy to Govt Retired)     06 June 2010

SECTION 31 OF SPECIFIC RELIEF ACT 1963 APPLIES ONLY IN RESPECT OF IRREGULAR SALE DEED TRANSACTIONS REGISTERED BY THE REGISTERIRING AUTHORITIES OR IT IS APPLICABLE IN CASE OF IRREGULAR LAND GRABBED GIFT SETTLEMENT DEEDS

KINDLY ENLIGHTEN

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register