LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sandeep (Business)     25 June 2009

Friend can be Respondent

My friend's wife has filed a case of domestic violence against him. She has made me a respondent too even though I have hardly met her for around 30 hours during the two years of her marriage. I find it extremely strange. Can I who is not a family member be an accused in this case of domestic violence?


 4 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     26 June 2009

 its really strange for u no doubt.


often frivolous allegations are made in such type of litigations and unfortunately at the ill advice of certain counsels.


dont worry u present ur case since u ve been arrayed as respondent so u ll ve to appear.


in offence under S. 498-A IPC no one other than family member can be made accused of......we ll give u interpretation for DV Act as well.

1 Like

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     26 June 2009

I agree with Kiran kumar.  DV act is against the family members not against others.  U can apply for maintanability of the case against u.

1 Like

Sandeep (Business)     26 June 2009

Thank you Kiran and Rajeev. I await the interpretation of DV act from you in this regard.




First of all, you are the friend of respondent in this case but not the male friend of the lady in question.   So, it may be the action by the lady to take the revenge against the family members as well as you as you are the welll wisher of her husband. 

       The instant case of the said section of the ipc, it has no legal leg to stand.  Don't worry at all, if you are honest.  Lets hope for the best. 


1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register