Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pureair (na)     07 October 2013

Can private bank recover negative balance ?

I had account with leading bank   few years ago.

As i was no longer banking with them i  visited branch to close my account  about 2 years ago. .Bank employee  paid me money but did not close the account  . ..

They  kept charging  my zero balance account about 750 rupees + service tax per quarter (for non maintenance of minimum  balance).. So i have negative balance   of about  appx. 7000-8000 rupees with that bank ..

My question is  can bank take legal action  to recover that money from me ?

Thank you 

Learning

2 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     08 October 2013

Dear querist

you have to read the terms & condition of bank, customer & bank relation, recovery procedure of bank or contact a lawyer personally

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     09 October 2013

If you have evidence of informing the bankers to close your account, you can question them for their such irresponsible and deficient service, in case you were served with a notice demanding the amount, ask them to furnish the details and approach the higher office of the bank with your grievances, if there is no favorable reply, write to Banking Ombudsman about this irregularity, even then if you not satisfied, approach a consumer forum for deficient service and their irregularity which  caused severe mental agony over which you can claim for damages.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register