Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

raghav arora (owner)     21 October 2012

Can anybody guid me what to do in this situation.

Hi ,

I really need someone's advice in this case. I can't disclose the name of the person, I will reffer him as X

Some months back my father suddenly expired. There's a person named X came to me and told me that he had lended my father 5 Lacs . I have never met this person before in my life but he has 3 cheques in favour of him and his wife total of 5 Lacs signed by my father ( with the name of the business firm in which my mother was sleeping partner) . He put the cheques on clearing and it did not get cleared and on the behalf of that he filed a case against me, my mother and my elder sister. According to case it is written that we are the Legal Heirs and now after my father's death we are liable to pay the amount.

He is just an LIC agent and I don't think he has the license to lend money at interest. 

What should I do? Please tell me ... We can't pay him as now we are financially down and moreover my father had taken money from him not us.

Please someone suggest me what should I do?

Learning

2 Replies

Ranee....... (NA)     21 October 2012

as a legal heir i think you have to pay the money from the property your father has left for you.I am not a lawyer,Wait till experts reply.

SAA_Bombay (Pro)     23 October 2012

First check, are those cheques really issued from one of your cheque books, is the sign of your dad. why he raised this issue after death of your father. what was the purpose of cheque? Purpose plays very important roll here as you have mentioned that person is a LIC agent. It means, he is not a supplier or anyone from that category that your father has to make a mantatory payment. HEnce, first find the actual fact behind this. I don't remeber but have read somewhere that it is not compulsary that legal heirs have to make payment of dimised persons liability, it was there in british rules.    

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register