LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shyam   07 May 2017

Request help

I got married 5 months ago and my wife now wants a divorce. I have a Disabled father and I am taking care of him. Long before marriage my father added me as a second holder on all his Fixed deposits so that if he not able to operate the account, I can operate the acccount and make sure all the medical bills are settled. Only after 5 Months of marriage my wife is asking for 50% of my assets. From the first day of marriage she was asking about the properties and assets I have (I guess to calculate how much she can get).

Since it is my father's Fixed deposits, and I am second holder, in a Divorce case would the court consider half of the deposits towards my total assets? even thaough I did not earn it?

I am sure my father will require his money since medical expenses for disabled is quite high, Please can you show me any way to avoid her taking my father's money. I am the only child and mother has passed away.

The problem is that some of my father's Fixed deposits are fixed for 3 years and I am sure my father will need the money for medical treatments as time passes by. We never got power of attorney so removing my name from the deposits would make things even more complicated. It is his hard earned money even after seeing the disability I do not know why she is so heartless to ask for that.

Can I approach a lawyer to prepare a legal promissory note or a detailed loan agreement? Would the court accept that? would it help to set up a trust?

Please help me, 

Learning

3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     07 May 2017

Your wife is not have any rights on your fathers fixed deposits and other assets. She cannot claim his own earned money.

Shyam   07 May 2017

Thank you for the reply, is that the case even if I am the second holder in the deposits?

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     08 May 2017

yes.According to the law for Hindus,self acquired property is any property purchased by an individual from his resources or any property he acquired as a part of the division of any Ancestral/Coparcenary property or acquired as a legal heir or by any Testamentary document such as ‘Will’ etc.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register