Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roy   04 January 2016

Certified copy of decree

Dear learned members,

I am a divorcee holding a certified copy of the decree of divorce. I have now come across a partner who is also a divorcee but does not have a certified copy of her decree. The petition was filed by her ex, however she or any of her representatives did not appear in court or respond to the court summons. Later, she was not in a position to go and collect a copy from the court. The case is 6-7 yrs old. 

Now, is it mandatory for us to get a copy in case we have to get married? Secondly, is that decree of any importance anywhere (Passport/visa/childrens' future etc) in later life?

In case the decree is necessary, what is the procedure of getting a certified copy from the court? Do I need to employ a lawyer to apply for a copy or can I do it directly at the court? How much money is considered legitimate to obtain a copy?

Sorry, for the long volley of questions. I'll be really grateful if someone can kindly guide me how to go about it.

Regards.

Learning

1 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     04 January 2016

Dear Mr. Roy

The divorce decree/certified copy of divorce decree is very important documents for the concerned party, regarding not only the marraige but also for future aspect regarding visa, passport, job application, etc.

you may file an application directly or through the counsel, there is very nominal charge for court fee and photostate charge which paid to court, remain the lawyer fee which is depend on lawyer.

Feel Free to Call

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register