LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vishnu Murugan   04 November 2023

Filing of 498a after annulment of marriage.

My wife was suffering from Bipolar Disorder prior to marriage and was suffering from it after marriage also, which she had suppressed from me prior to marriage. She would get recurrent attacks of it many times a week, during which she would show highly delusional behaviour and then become aggressive and attack any member in the household with any item she could lay her hands on. One day when she got the attack of Bipolar Disorder she firstly accused me of having an affair with my 82 year old bedridden maternal grandmother and then she attacked me with a scissor in my eye which left my right eye permanently damaged. Also, I discovered after marriage that she had previously filed multiple cases of rape and abduction against various men, and the courts had not only dismissed her cases but also termed her a 'honey trapper' who runs an extortion racket to extort money from people.


I then filed a petition for annulment of marriage to declare my marriage void on the ground that my consent to marriage had been taken through fraud. She filed her reply in the court admitting all my allegations and herself prayed in writing in the prayer clause of her reply "I have no objection if the court annuls the marriage through a decree of nullity". Also, a separate agreement was also executed with her by me wherein she has stated that she has received all her stridhan and she also stated that in future she will not file any cases against me. This agreement was notarized and exhibited in my evidence in the court. Every page of her reply, affidavit in support of reply and agreement bears her signature and also her signature is present on the order sheet of the Hon'ble Court on the date on which she appeared to file her reply. After trial, the court allowed my petition and annulled my marriage on the ground that it has been proved that consent was indeed obtained through fraud and also made scathing remarks against her in judgment calling her a blot on society.


Now, 120 days after the passing of decree of annulment

declaring my marriage null and void, she has given a complaint to police for 498-A, completely suppressing the proceedings that took place before Family Court and also the outcome thereof. I have supplied all certified copies to police, but they are still asking me to come for recording my statement. I wish to ask the ld.counsels here that can 498A now be filed against me and can she take a share out of my property and sue me for maintenance. What should I do to overcome this? I feel helpless.



Read more at:


 1 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     09 November 2023

You may first obtain anticipatory bail and then file a petition for quashing the FIR.

The complaint is not maintainable.

The police are  very casual in this regard or appear to have taken good amount of bribe hence they will not listen to your statements or even the documentary eivdences.

You can produce the documents as evidence from your side in the quash case and get the case quashed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register