LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

xxx (yyy)     14 September 2012

False dowry harrasment case

Hello everyone,

My Sister-in-law had filed a false dowry harrasment case in hyderabad against my brother and had included names of my entire family.

my brother was arrested and is currently in jail.

all our family members are obsconding since then.

She had filed a case stating that we had taken dowry from her and are harrasing her to get more dowry. which was completely false as we had not taken even single penny from them. but the irony is that we dont have any sort of proofs to prove that point.

my brother's father-in-law had shown some friend of his as a witness of us taking dowry en whom we dont even recognise.

My other family members had contacted my brothers father-in-law he said that he wants 65 lakhs to withdraw the case against our family.

could any one let us know what can be done to get out of this case as paying 65 lakhs is completely out of scope as our is a small middlw class family.


 5 Replies

Prashant Ghai (Advocate) (     14 September 2012

You have to provide us with details about the background, as in, of what all happened before filing of the case.

kumar sachin (lawyer)     14 September 2012

before giving a good legal advise, entire case history and facts needs to be before us for consideration only thereafter a genuine advise can be given

but one thing i can say that once the case has been lodged, and scope of compromise is not there, then you will have to nullify the evidence of the witnesses by your cross examination.

otherwise you are at trouble

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (     14 September 2012

Dear Querist,


1. There was no need for you to abscond, anticipatory bail is granted as a matter of course routinely in such cases, there is infact a landmark ruling by the AP High Court only in Kamireddy case on the liberal grant of Anticipatory Bail. Are you sure your legal representation is upto the mark ?

2. IF your father in law has introduced an interested witness (friend) that won't really stand in a court of law and would have really less evidentiary value and credibility.

3. You don't need any proofs to prove your innocense, they have to first prove your guilt (only that father in law's testimony won't do) and that too beyond reasonable doubts. 


Feel free to talk !

Bharat Chugh

*Advocate Supreme Court of India

1 Like

xxx (yyy)     21 September 2012

Hello and thankyou for the suggestions and Iam sorry that I had not replied for a long time as I was busy getting my anticipatory bail.

One important question from my side is that if we proove with evidence that this is a false case, can we impose any sort of punishment for them for launching a false case and putting my brother behind bars.


Apparently you can .... But it's gonna take time !! Patience is the key to success

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register