I have received a Show cause notice from the Income tax department asking me to pay Income tax for a previous year. This is 2012 (when I am typing this) and the notice says it is for 2008-09. The reason I think it is fake is as below:
1. It does not have my PAN number mentioned in it
2. The amount mentioned is more (about 40% more) than what my Form 16 for that year says
3. I have filed the returns for that year, I have the receipt with me.
4. I am salaried and I have always been salaried. So in my knowledge I do not have to pay the taxes to the government, my company has to. ANd if they haven't, the others in the company must have also received the same notice - which is again not the case.
5. The notice is from Faridabad, Haryana and I stay in Noida. I have never worked in Faridabad and have only stayed there for 6 months in 2009, which seems to be no reason for the Ward officer there to summon me.
I could be completely off here. I am only using my logic and have no idea what the law actually says about this. I do not know if I should go to Faridabad and check the validity of this summon. Should I? What should I do next?
An Engineer (with no knowledge of the law)