LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gowri (unemployed )     23 February 2024

Dowry complaint against husband and in-laws

For my previous question Divorcing my impotent husband, all of you had said that I can file a dowry harassment case against my husband and in laws According to section 398.

My husband and I are living separately in abroad, and my in laws are living in India.

How can I file the complaint against them? Because I am worried that my in laws may abscond to another city?

The current city my in laws live in is in Chennai And that too is a rental house. But what can I do if I give a complaint in Chennai, and they abscond to another city? Then how can the police find my in laws in order to recover my dowry cash and jewels?

How can I file a complaint against my NRI husband who is living in Canada? 

Both my husband and my in laws are not responding to my phone calls or my emails. They are completely cut off all ties with me and so there's no way for me to contact them and I do not live with my husband.

Can I file a complaint against my in laws through my lawyer, or do I have to go in person to give the complaint? Or can I do it online?

Please kindly advise me or not as to how I can proceed in recovering my jewels and dowry cash?


 2 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     23 February 2024

To file the 498A Or Domestic voilance complaint yu need to be present, however you may try by sending a written complaint through post to police station concerned and write everything in your complaint about your money and jewllery. You may also engage an advocate to follow up the case. You  can addres the complaint directly to police station concerned or through the SP ,forward copies to IGP also. File for maintenaince apllication also, let that go slow but will be on records. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 February 2024

If you continue to hesitate to file a criminal complaint against them thinking about many obstacles in between, you will never be able to get any relief anytime.

You can give online complaint or can ask your parents to lodge a complaint on your behalf.

Let the police search them on the basis of the telephone numbers also.

Consult an experienced lawyer either in the local or one from this forum and proceed as suggested 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register