LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     12 February 2009

Domicile Certificate

Maharashtra Govt issues domicile certificate and it is so sacrosanct that it is no less important than a passport. So much so that the certificate states that the person is a citizen of India. Can there be a more laughable thing in this country? A state certifying the citizenship? Now the question is under what law this domicile certificate issued and how is it valid in law? Government says that it is needed for admission, allotment of house tenements and so on. The funny part is that this certificate is issued by the magistrate of the area where the history of from great grand father downwards is filled alongwith proof of residence in Maharashtra for twenty years. What is going on in this country? Are we a nation?

Learning

15 Replies

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     12 February 2009

Before I forget, let me add one more thing. If you are over 70 years old and belong to a moffusil area of say Bihar, Haryana, U.P., you are asked to produce your birth certificate. Birth certificate issued in a remote village 70 years ago? Some more funny addition. If you have a passport stating your place of birth and date of birth, it is not accepted. Affidavits are not accepted. Mera Bharat Mahaan. Fill the coffers of corruption and get the certificate in one day.

Sushil Kumar Bhatia (Advocate)     13 February 2009

If state has issued such certificate it should be useful for showing citizenship of India but there is a flaw in issueing the certificate which show not a proof of citizenship,moreover a birth certificate issued by local authority is a strong evidence of nationality and one's citizenship.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     13 February 2009

The scenario is not that happy one here also. we are asked to produce evidence of enrollment in electorall Roll of 1960s, that means if we are a resident of the area for 60 to 70 years in the locality but  our name is not in that electorall Roll or either of our parents or our grand parents,we will not get the certificate.Not only that we are also directed to get domicile certificate from our own District even though we have been a permanent resident of another District or were born there.So far to my knowledge there is only one domicile certificate that is India and there is no Bihar domicile certificate or Gujarat domicile certificate etc.We as a Nation are we going mad and crazy?

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     13 February 2009

Dear Sir,

No birth certificate was issued in a moffusil area 70 years ago. It is a nothing but torture and a route to make money as brokers and touts can still get you Domicile Certificate from the court irrespective of the lack of documents. The problem is for law abiding citizens.

It is another route to corruption.

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     13 February 2009

In our country laws are generally designed to encourage corruption.

Even when such things are brought to the notice of the authorities/state and various organ of states, nothing is done.

Why should they act? If they act, their pockets are not lined. 

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     14 February 2009

Its really sickening and suffocating to be in such a fools paradise!

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     15 February 2009

well the domicile certificate is issued to show that u r a resident of a particular state therefore resident of India also.

mainly required for examination and govt. jobs purposes....since some of the seats are reserved for the local residents also.

but unfortunately the way these documents are prepared is really pathetic.

Pankaj Rai (Lawyer)     17 February 2009

Domicile certificate is issued by local administration by which a particular person known as the resident of a particular area,state and India also.

PALNITKAR V.V. (Lawyer)     18 February 2009

I share the views expressed by Mr. Anil Agarwal. Mere Bharat me khcchh bhi ho sakta hai ! That is democracy !!

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     13 March 2009

Let me add some more fun. At the age of 65, when I applied for a domicile certificate (funnily it is issued to both father and son), I submitted documents for the last 25 years like electricity bill, telephone bill, society certificate, income tax returns, bank passbook, passport (blue cover) and pension papers. In addition I submitted my son's birth certificate, school leaving certificage, SSC/HSC passing certificate including certificates of his admission to Jr.KG and passing exams. It was rejeced on the ground that I had not produced MY place of birth certificate. At a loss to come to terms, I submitted an affidavit to the Magistrate alongwith the OFFICIAL passport issued to me as a government officer not by the Regional Passport Officer, but, directly by the Ministry of External Affairs. The magistrate was puzzled to see this kind of passport. I was called to the witness box and questioned how, when, why, who, what, where about this passport (WHITE cover). Perhaps in sheer desperation, he issued me the certificate. Thanks to my official status! Again, MERA BHARAT MAHAAN.

Before conclusion, I request you to read the domicile certificate application form. You feel like breaking your head against a rock.

Sorry again. The certificate makes mentioned of three govt resolutions dated 17/5/51, 25/8/77 and 2/1/89. I asked the Maharashtra govt under RTI Act to supply me copies of these GRs. You guess is as good as mine. I received none.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register