LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

K (Logoistic executive)     21 October 2010

Divorce Pitition

married before 3 years.My wife is from Maharastra and I am from Gujarat.Our marriage was held at Gujarat. Now she is staying with her parent's home since last one month.And she has sent me a divorce notice from family court. My question is which jurisdiction is applicable for our case? Gujarat or Maharastra ?Please married before 3 years.My wife is from Maharastra and I am from Gujarat.Our marriage was held at Gujarat. Now she is staying with her parent's home since last one month.And she has sent me a divorce notice from family court. My question is which jurisdiction is applicable for our case? Gujarat or Maharastra ?Please answer me....answer me....

Learning

2 Replies

Legal Wizard (Advocate)     22 October 2010

The place where your  marriage took place and the place where you co habited is the place of jurisdiction!

(Guest)

She can file a case where she lives or husband and wife resided last together.

And she neglect and left  you, why ? .

The following are the grounds for divorce in India mentioned under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.

Desertion – If one of the spouses voluntarily abandons his/her partner for at least a period of two years, the abandoned spouse can file a divorce case on the ground of desertion.

You said now she is staying with her parent's home since last one month. For getting divorce

At least 2 years desertion required.

But she can file DV petition on  another ground like

Cruelty – A spouse can file a divorce case when he/she is subjected to any kind of mental and physical injury that causes danger to life, limb and health. The intangible acts of cruelty through mental torture are not judged upon one single act but series of incidents. Certain instances like the food being denied, continuous ill treatment and abuses to acquire dowry, perverse s*xual act and such are included under cruelty.

OR

Adultery – The act of indulging in any kind of s*xual relationship including intercourse outside marriage is termed as adultery. Adultery is counted as a criminal offence and substantial proofs are required to establish it. An amendment to the law in 1976 states that one single act of adultery is enough for the petitioner to get a divorce.

So, better to file RCR petition Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955(hereinafter referred to as the Act) provides for the restitution of the conjugal rights. The section of the Act says:

“When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the District Court, for the restitution of conjugal rights and the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly”.

EXPLANATION: Where a question arises whether there has been reasonable excuse for the withdrawal from the society, the burden of proving reasonable excuse shall be on the person who has withdrawn from the society.

The fundamental rule of matrimonial law that one spouse is at liberty to the society and comfort of the other spouse, forms the foundation of the right to bring a suit for the restitution of conjugal rights. The court has the duty of granting a decree for restitution in the cases where either spouse has abandoned or withdrawn from the society of the other.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register