LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Krish   10 March 2016

Divorce petition after filing 498a by wife

Hi Experts,


I have a query regarding the divorce petition.Could you please clarify?


If wife leaves the matrimonial house and files 498A case on husband\his parents, Can husband file Divorce petition after 3 years of seperation(from the day wife left and on waiting upon three years) in parallel to her  case?




 4 Replies

Augustine Chatterjee,New Delhi (Advocate & Solicitor at Law)     10 March 2016

Yes the said case would be very much maintainable in the eyes of the law. Rather the fact that the wife has filed a false 498a case against the husband , shall stand to be an additional ground of cruelty
1 Like

saravanan s (legal advisor)     10 March 2016

two years of continuous wilful seperation is enough to file divorce on the grounds of desertion.

1 Like

Krish   10 March 2016

Thanks  Augustine and Saravanan sir for clarifying this query.


@Saravanan Sir,

I am from Telangana state (formerly it's Andhra Pradesh before bifurcation). One of my lawyer friends told that 3 years seperation should be needed in this state. I am not sure if it's true.


KS Johal   10 March 2016

Krish - family law issues or law is generally the same in all states. Saravanan sir - is absolutely right and I agree with him 100% percent.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query