25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prerna Shukla (Physiotherapist)     02 July 2012

Divorce help




Dear Expert,

I am Prerna from Delhi. I got married in Nov 2011 to a Delhi Boy. This was an arranged marriage. 

I am a known case of depression having stuck me twice in the last ten years. I am also under very light medication, as the medecine is continued for whole life. While taking medecine for many years I have continued my educatio  and have also topped delhi university in science stream. 

I am also teaching in one of the reputed school in delhi for the last three years. My family hide the fact that I am taking medecine  from my in laws.

My in laws though were good before marriage, and they wanted me to continue my job after marriage as they agreed before my marriage, but just after a week of marriage they started pressurizing me to resign from job. They mentally tortured me for resignation, and then during the trauma I collapsed and told them about my medicine and known case of depression. Though my disease is a state of mind and is curable and also I am and was performing all tasks including my responsible job, and other household job myself. I also talked to my husband for over 5-6 hours daily during our courtship period of 6 months.

Now, after knowing my case, my in laws are threatening me for dicorce and are mentally torturing me. My parents also made them meet the doctor who advised them that I will be fine in  2-3 months if I take medicine, but they threw all the medicine and They have also stopped my medicine for the last more than two months and my health situation has deteriorated. They want now to abandon me. I need your help , what should I do now. Please help me.



 1 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     03 July 2012

@ Author,


An unfortunate case of deprivation of basic health (medicines) needs in a very short marriage!

See there are limited options available for you if both of you love each other and want to continue marriage then;

1. Involve some mature men and or agent from your side to talk to in-laws to provide basic medications instead of depriving you from your prescribed medical necessities least mental status takes some untoward turn of a daughter-in law.

If in-laws are sensible enough and are able to get the message right they will allow you to continue prescripttion medication at least.


2. Move to your natal home for the time being and continue with the job and regular medications. Regain lost health and carreer then propose to in-laws for return on your reasonable terms (job + medications continuation) back to matrimonial home. At that time you are not asking moon from in-laws I suppose!


3. If not, then again you have to gauge if he loves you and want to continue the marriage and for the same under Domestic Violence Act a Complaint could be lodged with PO / NGO / Service Provider / Police Station with relief for allowing basic medical necessities. All these external aids (service providers) appointed under the Domestic Violence Act will call your In-laws and enquire about ill-treatment and may solve the issue as health issues comes fundamental rights provided under Constitution of India to we the citizens of
India. By lodging DV Complaint with "service providers" such as above counseling by them is "milder form of deterrent" least a full blown case comes to the floor of a concerned Court which then everyone will try to avoid!

Divorce you cannot get in such short marriage if you apply under 'cruelties' ground as 1 year need to have been passed to file for divorce under cruelties ground. They may currently file under 'fraud" ground - i.e. not telling about medication / mental health alleged grounds and then they have to prove 'life and limb' danger of such alleged facts they put in their suit matter against you for which you need to prepare for your defense - all these stages could be avoided in such short marriages is my view reading down your brief!


Hence suggested to try again some and or all of the above milder deterrent social options. If failure showeth then come back here ……….

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Threads


Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query