LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

K.Vijayabhanu (Working professional)     27 March 2016

Divorce case

Hi I am married in the month of Feb 19 2016 in TN to a person who finished his ML and pursuing PHD in Law(criminal law). My husband is trying to give a divorce to me because of my in-laws. My sister Inlaw husband is also a lawyer in madurai court. my husband is demanding all his marriage expenses which costs around 5Lakhs as compensation from me but I am not the one who is initiating the divorce.My Jewels are in my inlaws custody and we already paid 1 lac as dowry in cash. All the marriage expenses are done by my husband's sister and brother-in-law. Please let me know whether 1)is there any law that makes me to pay all the marriage expenses and living expenses for a divorce as he is still pursuing and I am working in an MNC company. 2)If I have to give money to him according to law then am I not eligible to take money from him. 3)I have applied to a top most govt job so if I am into this mess then am I going to get effected due to this case as this may take 1 year to complete a divorce case.

Learning

6 Replies

KS Johal   27 March 2016

The marriage has recently taken place what I don't understand why is he seeking a divorce? What has gone wrong and is there a possibility of mutual agreement to safeguard the marriage? Does not matter if he is studying law every person has to abide by the rule of law. I would not part with any money as yet because you need to see which direction he wants to go and which direction do you want to go i e do you want to go and have divorce? Both of you seem to be highly educated but what has gone wrong? Is there a possibility of reconciliation? If you have to return everything to each other I would only do that once the divorce is in Motion rather than doing this before it goes into motion. You will need to wait for one year and even another 6 months after that before everything is over. Do both of you agree to go through divorce?

KS Johal   27 March 2016

Answer to your questions are: 1) is there any law that makes you pay all the expenses? Answer: Yes if there is to be a divorce then generally all expenses are returned to each other. Like I have said do not pay as yet. 2) is there a law that you will receive money from him? Answer: Yes he will also need to pay your money on a regular basis. As I have said in my earlier statement do not pay any money or receive any money as yet. 3) will your job be affected? Answer: Your job should not be affected because it has got nothing to do with it. Your personal life is different to that of your professional life. You should also not need to declare this at interview or even after you take on the job. In my statement here I am 100 percent certain that this should not affect your job at all. The reason I say this is: Give me one example where this is not the case in a person's personal life. I hope this helps you. Please do not lose hope be strong and challenge.

Augustine Chatterjee,New Delhi (Advocate & Solicitor at Law)     27 March 2016

Your husband is not legally entitled to ask you to return all the marriage expenses . Those funds were spent by him voluntarily and hence there is no law which entitles him to ask for the same to be returned . As far as claiming money from him is concerned , you have the right to claim regular maintenance as well as permanent alimony from Him . You are also entitled to return of all the articles which were form part of the legal definition of stridhan Don't worry . I am dealing with at least 70 Matrimonial clients at. This stage and many of them are government employees . However none of them have faced any issues at their respective employment zones courtesy any matrimonial dispute

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     28 March 2016

Married on Feb 19th 2016 and on 28th March U R in the forum with a matrimonial/marital dispute.Real pity on the dwindling fate of the marriage system.Everything has become commercial(even the oxygen we inhale).

Divorce at this stage is too early from either side and he would be well aware being an academic legal professional.e

Better try for repair the damages in UR marital life.

Give and take are a part of marriage rituals and the husband cannot demand anything spent for the marriage.The wife has a right to claim only the streedhan she has brought at the time of marriage.

K.Vijayabhanu (Working professional)     28 March 2016

Even I pity my own fate fr this. I got married in temple and not even provided with the certificate when asked. From Day1 he started questioning about jewels and their quantity and quality. started telling stories about neighbours and their wives and reason of splitting families.He is always the taker in the family his brother in law and sister are the people who are earning and spending money for his studies,marriage.all the relatives and friends have advised to do a job. He applied for govt jobs as law officers but always skips the exam. he worked in coimbatore law college as a law professor and spends all money never saves. his mother is also getting pension of 3000 with his late fathers pension 10000. still he takes money from his mother.Now he spent more than 28000 of my money in the name of marriage rules that wife need to provide money when husband is studying but spends for phone and friends and they have informed me it only takes 6 months of education now they are saying 2 years of education and I have to bear the expenses which my inlaws were doing till now. Always compares me with others when he goes out as I look a bit fat.He always talks proper with all my relatives but never with my parents and suggest me to not to talk to my parents as he is been brainwashed my inlaws that girls parents are the caue for disputes.His mother now arised a doubt whether I have any past life mistakes which I dont have and I dont know how to prove them. They already tested my virginity.Whenever he talks to me he expects perfect answer. I blabber in tamil even I have worked here for 3years. I am fluent in hindi telugu and english.when I blabber he thinks I have lied.He thinks being with sister's family is the joint family and I have split them but he doesnot even think we should not be there in a sister house. 1)The expenses are made by his family and why would I pay them all for this marriage. In my native all the marriage expenses and the celebration are borne by guys family only. 2)I am not expecting a single money from him but he is expecting all the expenes from my end. 3)As I am working and he is not earning at present, do I need to pay the means to survive to him?

K.Vijayabhanu (Working professional)     28 March 2016

Hi Sir, My husband is planning to give divorce and asking for my house address to send a notice. I am asking for a talk but he i not ready to and he is planning 2nd marriage to a orphan girl.He is openly stating that as he is criminal lawyer he will trap me in different cases which is not done by me. His brother in law is also a lawyer and he is pretendind to be good with me. he said I will be your lawyer to fight but I do not trust him. I want my husband to be good with me and earn money as he is still taking money from his mother, sister and me. When asked earn some money and then study he denies and tells me that he will not give money or take care of me once he completes the education and settles down. My expectation is similar to all the other women outside.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register