LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jitendra Nanawala (psychiatrist)     16 February 2010

Disconnection of water by society president/secretary

I have flat in cooperative housing society. Recently the managment demanded rs. 5000 towards extra ordinary expense to repair the certain amenities at flat rate from all propery owner. My self and other owner objected to it by suggesting that please collect money on square feet basis and not on lumsum basis. In response to it, the President disconnected my water connection without any notice. I have paid my regular maintainance charge up to January 2010. 

I approached the police, they refused redressal to my oral complaint on ground that as it is cooperative society, they can not do anything. 

What shall I do to get my water connection restored?

Kindly guide.




 3 Replies

Suri.Sravan Kumar (senior)     27 February 2010

it depends upon bylaws of ur society. if the bylaws empowers, the committee has got every right to initiate action against the members who fail to pay their share or contribution. pl read ur bylaws

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     01 March 2010

Action does not empower the Mg. Committee to disconnect water supply. Taking action for non-payment is altogether a different matter for which there is remedy available to the Society.

You can lodge a complaint with the BMC and police as well as with the Dy. Registrar of your Ward. Many members vociferously demand that if some member is not paying his maintenance dues, his electricity and water supply should be disconnected by the Society. Such members are living in the realm of fantasy and are totally ignorant of laws.

Jitendra Nanawala (psychiatrist)     02 March 2010

Dear Agrawal,

Thanks for the reply. I am based at Navsari. Can u guide me under which law I can book them?

With regrds.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query