LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SS (VP)     16 March 2010

Copyright protection

If I write a book or have an idea that gets transformed ino a white paper,  I necessarily have to accord copies to publishers and others in order to get an approval / acceptance.

In that case how does one ensure that  copying a part of the book/ idea does not happen and how do the author protect his / her intrests.

Though this amy be a basic question, I request the forum to help me with an answer.

Regards

SS

Learning

2 Replies

Sanjeev Panda (Advocate)     17 March 2010

The moment you transform your expression in form of book, poetry or the like into piece of paper it become copyrightable. The copyright is by default once the work is fixed in any tangible medium of expression like if it is reproduced in the piece of form or even recorded via digital medium, i.e. recorded on hard disk of your computer. Though the registration of the copyright is not mandatory under the Copyright Act, it is advisable to get it registered. However it should be noted that even if the work is registered and your work is entered into the register of copyrights, it would only be primafacie evidence that you are the owner of your work, that is to say the opposite party can rebut your claim by presenting stronger evidences proving his ownership. Thus, you can do the following:

In case of manuscriptt of the book you can get the work registered with the copyright office

Give the manuscriptt of your book with proper copyright notice to the publisher that it is your copyrightable work and no part of it can be reproduced in any form whatsoever without your permission.

Keep the manuscriptt of the book or work safe and along with the sources from which you created the same. Keep the same stored in the hard disk of your computer.

SS (VP)     20 March 2010

Thanks a lot sir.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register