Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Namakkal Raghavendran (CEO)     27 April 2017

Delay in taking decision by central govt.

I am a central Govt. pensioner 81 years old. The 7th Pay Commission made some recommendations correcting very unjust pension fixation of earlier pay commissions. These would be highly beneficial to pensioners like me who retired prior to 1996. The Central Govt. while accepting the recommendations in general, deferred some of these beneficial recommendations and asked a committee of secretaries to study them and submit their views within 4 months. The report of the Committee though somewhat delayed ultimately has been with the Govt. for more than 6 months. We have been eagerly expecting the Govt. to announce their decision on this matter, so that our pensions can be refixed at the higher level as per the recommendation of the 7th CPC. The delay is inexplicable and any number of representations to authourities iincluding the PM, have met with the response that the report submitted is with the Cabinet with no mention of even a probable date of decision. We fear many of us will not even be around by the time the decision is taken.

My question is: Can a suit be filed in the Central Bench of the Central Adminstrative Tribunal, with a prayer to direct the Govt. to announce their decision setting a deadline?

I will be grateful for an answer.

Learning

5 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 April 2017

This is not a justifiable right. CAT case will be futile.  Govt cannot be compelled to at all accept the recommendations.

Namakkal Raghavendran (CEO)     28 April 2017

It is not a question of  compelling the Govt. to accept the recommendations. It is a question of Govt. taking a very long time to decide one way or the other after the Committee of secys. has submitted their report. The delay is very detrimental to aged pensioners who are adversely affected by the delay. We have a reasonable expectation that the decision will be favourable to us and the the time that will be left for us to benefit from the enhanced pension will be reduced each passing day. The govt, cannot sit on it indefinitely and pensioners have no leverage like going on strike and the only course that would perhaps jog the Govt. to act will be thro courts. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 April 2017

"the govt, cannot sit on it indefinitely" who told you this

Namakkal Raghavendran (CEO)     29 April 2017

Still the basic question whether the Govt. can be forced to take a decision on a pending matter affecting old pensioners, is not answered.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     29 April 2017

Originally posted by : Namakkal Raghavendran
Still the basic question whether the Govt. can be forced to take a decision on a pending matter affecting old pensioners, is not answered.

Govt cannot be forced to take a decision. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register