LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gunja   09 December 2021

Deceased father's transfer to his daughter

My father signed a few blank cheques for me during his last days when he was going through his Cancer treatment. He signed it in advance so that if anything happens to him, atleast his only young daughter (me) has some security amount..His chemo went on for a few months & we all forgot about applying cheque in the bank..Since he'd mentioned date in cheques too & it's been months & months to that..How can I redeem that amount now?

Learning

1 Replies

Anaita Vas   05 January 2022

Unlike cash, checks have an expiration date. While waiting a few days or even weeks to cash a check likely won’t be a problem, if you wait several months, you may not be able to.

In general, checks typically are good for about six months, but the expiration window can be shorter, longer, or nonexistent. The exact time at which a check will expire depends on the type of bank and the bank’s discretion. 

• Honoring the check expiry date is up to the bank’s discretion: If you find an old check, the best thing to do is contact the bank. The bank has the ultimate say in whether or not it will still honor the check and allow you to cash it. Though some may allow you to cash an expired check, others may uphold the original expiration date.

Regards,

Anaita Vas

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register