Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sushanta (student)     14 March 2010

Criteria for finding similar judgments

Hello All,

I am computer engineer  working on a software which will be useful for legal domain.
Please enlighten me on below mentioned  question :--

Note :-- I am using  Supreme court of India judgment freely available at https://www.commonlii.org/in/cases/INSC/.  Please answer according to nature of these judgments .

Q1 :-  In  commmon law system, a lawyer needs to cite  older judgment for stregthening his argument. So, how does he find  judgment which is dimilar to that task at hand ?

Is  "Act" one of the  key feature based on which one can say that two judgments are similar ?

Q2 :-  Is there any other criteria based on which we can say thatjudgments are similar ?
Q3 :-  Can a judgment exist wthout any Act ?

My view :--  I think it's impossible. Because, a dispute occurs only when an Act is violated, So there has to a be an act based on which the judgment is delivered.
                              Is it right ?

Q4 :- Can a judgment exist without any previous judgment citation in common law system  ?

Q5 :-  Can we say that the quality of the citations ( references to the previously delivered judgments) are very high because the citations go through the scrutiny of the  opposing lawyer and the judge himslef. So, is it accpetable to say that the scrutiny  makes citations very significant ?
                       Your view ?

Thanks in advance.

~Sushanta

Learning

1 Replies

Daksh (Student)     15 March 2010

Dear Sushanta,

It is not necessary that all the orders/citations/judgements are getting reported.  For practical purposes it is advised that you may refer to the citation tracer (hard copy) whereafter it will be clear to you that the facts and circumstance of each case are peculiar and more than that what was argued and how well the point of view of either of the side was got appreciated are the all variables which collectively contributes in a particular order/citation/judgement.  For tracing similar judgement firstly subject than the most new one, then in the order of Constitutional Bench, DB, Single Bench, Preliminary Stage, On merits are a few criterians which really matters.  

Best Regards

Daksh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register