LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AWADHESH SINGH (ADVOCATE)     09 February 2011

criminal revision

Whether the Sessions Court has power to condone delay in filing revisions.


 5 Replies

Samir Jha (Advocate)     09 February 2011


By Virtue of Section 399, Sessions Judge all or any of the power which may be excercised by the High court

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     09 February 2011

Yes session court has such power., if any apllication is filed for condonation.

AMOL (gallop17@rediffmail.com)     09 February 2011

yes session court has power to condone delay.

Jeetendra singh (Advocate)     10 February 2011

file a application for condonation with your revision. Mostly courts are liberal in these matters..........

Adesh Kumar Sharma (Senior Associate Lawyer)     10 February 2011

Mr. Singh,

As per Art. 131 Limitation Act, 1963 the period for filing a criminal revision is 90 days. If that period is expired then you can file the revision alongwith an application under section 5 of Limitation Act  for condonation of such delay, wherein you have to explain as to why such delay occured.

The section be read as hereunder:


5. Extension of prescribed period in certain cases - Any appeal or any application, other than an application under any of the provisions of Order XXI of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908) may be admitted after the prescribed period, if the appellant or the applicant satisfies the court that he had sufficient cause for not preferring the appeal or making the application within such period.

Explanation - The fact that the appellant or the applicant was misled by any order, practice or judgment of the High Court in ascertaining or computing the prescribed period may be sufficient cause within the meaning of this section.

I hope your query is pacified now.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register