LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chandrasekaran Maran (SDE)     05 September 2010

Credit card Issue

Dear Friends, I got one notice from advocate on behalf of HSBC bank is saying that I should pay 52000Rs Immediately after receiving that notice in 3 days. I didnot used that card not even once. card is with me but I could not find that. But I am sure that I have never used.

I called one number mentioned in that notice, he is asking me to commit for payment. otherwise we will take legal action like that. One more is they asked me to pay only the principle amount and asked me to close the account. But I never used that card. I am totally confused. Please suggest me how to proceed with this.

Chandrasekaran.

Learning

6 Replies

(Guest)

Chandershekharan,even if U have used the credit card Urself,banks do not ask to pay the amount in full to their customers.Generally customers are asked to pay 5% p.m. as a minimum payment.And banks do not send notice directly,first they send U statements which reflect each and every transaction of Ur Card usage and payments made by U.And banks never ask their customers to close the credit card accounts,it is on their own discretion,they can any time decrease ur credit card limit almost to zero, equivalent to cancellation.

There are a lot of "fishy" things in Ur post,I feel U, urself have suppressed a lot of material facts in this post,be clear only then u can get a good advice.

Chandrasekaran Maran (SDE)     05 September 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I got the credit card by 2007 in Hyderabad, and I got transfer to Bangalore in 2008,Till now I didn't use the card and I didn't get any statement from the bank. but they have sent this legal notice to my native place address last month. If I purchased something and I was not available to local address in Hyderabad they are supposed to send the statement to my mail id or my native place address right. but nothing they have done.

I asked them to send the details like what I purchased and when and where and all. But they have replied that we cann't give the details first you should say to pay the principle amout other wise we take legal action through some cibil in delhi like that .This is the situation I had. Please provide the your advice how to proceed.

Chandasekaran

(Guest)

Chandershekharan,CIBIL is just a collective data of banks,nothing else,CIBIL can not take any action against t you,itself,but your credit report kept with CIBIL can go against you for your future loans.

Write an E-mail in details to the bank,my experience--emails are listened/considered more carefully.Find out the e-mail of ombudsman of the same bank,write everything in details to him.,U can call consumer helpline from MTNL No. on 1800114000 for guidance.

Ask me further ,if U do not get results.

D D Pawar (Sr. Advocate)     07 September 2010

send a legal notice through an advocate

w.r.t credit card fraud, cheating and misrepresentations can take place

reeti shah (lawyer)     09 September 2010

send a letter giving the facts that you have not used the card and also ask them to send you the statement. They have to send the statement if requested by the customer. CIBIL cannot take any action against you.

krishnamoorthi (Advocate)     22 January 2011

If U wish to close the issue by mutually bringing end to the credit card it is possible.  All the credit card banks will accept payment of the principal i.e. cash withdrawals, purchases of goods and services for closing the credit card.  For this the card holder should negotiate and get a closure letter before paying the agreed amount.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register