LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Law Querier (Service)     22 March 2013

Court proceeding in divorce case

Wife (applicant) from Canada filed a divorce petition u/s. 13 (i) (1a) in family court by made POA (power of attorney) to her father in India. Husband (Opponent) does not want divorce. Wife had filed divorce petition before one year of marriage and she had made invalid POA. The POA was notarized by public notary of Canada instead of countersigned by Indian High commission/Consulate of Canada. Husband had mentioned these three points in his reply. 1). Divorce petition should not file before completion of one year of marriage u/s. 14 of HMA and 2). The power of attorney is not valid u/s 3 of the Diplomatic and Consular Officer’s act. 3). Wife be called to present in court to attend the divorce case. In each court date, wife’s father is presenting in Indian court. He put evidence against Husband and also appeared in cross examination. Now, Husband has also put evidence and on next day he will be present in his cross examination. My questions are 1) If divorce petition is applied before one year of marriage and opponent already mentioned in his reply than how can court keep continue the case? 2). There was already mentioned in opponent’s reply paper that the power of attorney is not maintained/ non valid according to law. Then, how can court granted to appear applicant’s father in court? 3).Can’t court order to present applicant instead of POA holder in court? I have asked these questions to my lawyer also. But, he replied that these is court proceeding. I want to know that is my lawyer’s telling is true? If it is not true than what can I do? Please. Thanks to read my query.

Learning

3 Replies

HK_Jain... (498a Fighter)     22 March 2013

Its a news.

Your lawyer is saying wrong.

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     23 March 2013

Dear Chirag, As per Indian Law envisaged under Hindu Marriage Act, Divorce cannot be filed within One year of marriage. If filed then court permission is required under section 14 of Hindu Marrigae Act. POA can appear before the court but he cannot narrate about the personal knowledge as barred by High Court and Supreme Court Judgments. This is the catch where petition fails. For mutual divorce father can appear as Power of Attorney but where full trial is required he cannot appear as petitioner. Court can ask her to be present before the court for cross-examination. Her cannot answer the personal questions. so she is required. If POA is not properly attested then it is mere irregularity, can be rectified by filing new one not a good ground. for any query can call Rajiv Bhasin Advocat 9811210505 bhasin.laws@yahoo.com

Law Querier (Service)     23 March 2013

Continue Query...Can Husband (opponent) apply under 7 rule 11 u/s. 151 of CPC (rejection of petition) though following stages have completed in divorce case? : Stages: 1.Petition from applicant side
2.Reply from opponent side 3.Evidence from applicant side 4.Cross-examination attended by POA from applicant side 5.Evidence from opponent side

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register