Conviction by passport authority

Can the passport authority of india convict a govt employee if he did not disclose his employment status at the time of applying for passport.If not what is the normal course of action that passport authority can take .

HR assistant

K. Anil: Could you pls be more specific about your problem? Passport authority is not any criminal court to convict anybody. It is only the court has the power to do so.Can u elaborate you problem so that u can be answered properly.


Sir, first of all thanks for your earlier response.

Actually i am working as PSU employee since 2001 in UP.In 2005 i applied for my passport from my native place in Orissa without showing that i am a PSU employee( The agent told that it doesn't matter much). But later some one in my office said that it is mandatory to take noc from dept to apply for passport. so i took it from my department few days after applying for my passport. But could not use it at the pasport office .that's the whole matter.

Right now i got to know from the HR hand book that NOC is to be obtained before applying for passport.Hence , please guide me what to do now.I have only one passport issued in 2005.But i am worried as i have not mentioned that i am a psu employee .Will reissue of passport on expiry solve the problem or i should take some proactive measures.

Is there any provision to confess and pay the penalty in the passport office.

Please guide

HR assistant

Dear Anil since you have been working in UP and wanted the passport from Orissa to avoid some hinderances on the advice of some unscruplous agent and now in trouble.

First of all you should have applied at UP itself and they would have carried out your verification at your permanent address at Orissa, ofcourse this could have taken a longer time than normal but could have saved you in the aftermath. I also belong to UP but my passport was issued from Kerala and I did it in the correct way.

Now you are holding the passport for the last 4 or five years with the knowledge of your department by requesting them for NOC but cunningly not using the same thereby hid the truth from your present employer and the passport issuing authority too.

You have  some of theoptions now: a) Keep silent on this issue till 2015. b) Apprise your department and confess with request for pardon ( Which would not help you either). c) On the nearing expiry in the year 2015, just report the loss of your passport at UP where you have been residing with all the procedure of lost passport ( Do not recall its particulars at any stage) and apply the fresh passport though it is another cheating but you are left with no other alternative.

If you have decided to move abroad for employment, simply submit the proper resignation and after release proceed ahead, if not just wait for another four years and do what I have  suggested at point (c).



Dear Anil,

Obtaining a NOC from the employer is an internal rule/HR policy of the PSU and you may make a representation for condonation and ratifying the process. Mistake are cleansed by recitications and do not complicate issues by continiuing or inventing multiple ones. vasudevn



Thanks for your responses.The problem has been solved by informing concerned authorities.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x