LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Herin   26 October 2023

Car in criminal offence

Hii sir.i buy car from my friend.we not transferd name,we did notaries agreement.but after two months i returned my car to my friend,because he not transferd name on rc.but i forgott to take my notaries agreement.after 7 months thst car have some criminal offence.and police have the notaries agrrement...what can i do 

Learning

6 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     26 October 2023

Until the RC of the car has not been transferred to your name you cannot be held liable for any criminal activities involved through this car.

You can very clearly defend your interest stating that though the intention to purchase was there hence the agreement was entered, but as the sale could not materialise you could not purchase it hence you are not the owner of the car, the owner can be enquired. 

1 Like

Herin   26 October 2023

Originally posted by : T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate

Until the RC of the car has not been transferred to your name you cannot be held liable for any criminal activities involved through this car.You can very clearly defend your interest stating that though the intention to purchase was there hence the agreement was entered, but as the sale could not materialise you could not purchase it hence you are not the owner of the car, the owner can be enquired. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 October 2023

Okay, by repeating my answer what are you trying to clarify, is it the question or my answer?

Herin   27 October 2023

How to remove that

P. Venu (Advocate)     29 October 2023

Yes,  the vehicle not being not in your possession at the time of the alleged criminal incidence and RC book continuing in the name of the original owner, the notary agreement is of no consequence.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     31 October 2023

I agree that prima-facie the registered owner of the car is liable for criminal offence comitted by that car.

Howeever in this case you have given a proof of the custody of the vehicle and invited yourself to join him in the jail rather substituting yourself to be liable.

Many [erspons to this clerverness of taking vehicle from somepone and not transferring it to their name in RTO record and keep previous owner .lible criminally in respect of this vehicle.  You have crated an evidence that you are one such person.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register