Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gurpreet Singh   22 October 2023

Where & how to file divorce case

Dear all,

Good Morning..!!

I want to file divorce case in my city whereas local advocate is asking me to file it at in-laws jurisdiction.

Marriage happened 8 years ago.

Decision of divorce delayed because there were too much compromises & threats of dowry / domestic violence case. I have written proofs of compromises including once in women cell.

But now I'm done.. ready to file divorce immediately on the grounds of misbehave & violence with me & parents.

Kindly suggest procedure, timeline & how to find suitable lawyer in Pathankot, Punjab location.

Thanks

Learning

3 Replies

Dr. J C Vashista (Advocate )     22 October 2023

can file a petition where the marriage was solemanised or both of you last resided togather, if you do not want to file where your wife is presently residing i.e.,  your in-laws station.

Find a local prudent lawyer where ever to decide to file the petition.

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 October 2023

Well suggested by expert Dr. JC sir.

You can  file the divorce only at the place of marriage or at the place where you both last resided together or in the place where your wife is currently residing.

1 Like

P. Venu (Advocate)     23 October 2023

If the petition is filed at a jurisdiction other than the place where the wife is presently residing, she has the option to seek transter to her place. If so, the decision in the matter could be considerably delayed as well would entail additional expenditure.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register