Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

123456   07 April 2023

Nomination missed by bank

Namaskar Everyone
Please share the guidance on the below case.
1) My father has a savings and pension account in the State Bank of India. Since 2010 (after retirement)
At that time, the nominee's registration number was mentioned on the first page of the passbook.

2) Now that the new passbook was updated somewhere in 2016 (exactly when is unknown), it was found that the nominee registration number was not mentioned.

Recently My father died, and we went to the bank to claim or transfer the savings or pension of my father into my mother’s name.

The bank told us that the nominee was not registered after checking it digitally, and we had to go through the formalities in the presence of all family members. As one of my brothers was settled abroad with his family.

My query is: if the nomination is mentioned in the first passbook, then why was it not in digital records?
The bank people are saying that your father may have withdrawn from the nomination facility, but it was not possible because my father, being a defence officer, was very serious about paperwork. And every other account, including the Post Office Savings nominee name, is registered.

As we have asked bank personnel to show the hard copy of the nomination or show that the nomination was withdrawn, nobody has cooperated to date.

And the formality of my mother's pension is delayed for no reason.

And I am working out of the city, so it is not possible to stand in line daily.

Also, please confirm whether this is a one-time process or we have to update it from time to time (even if there is no change).

Learning

2 Replies

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     07 April 2023

Nominee registration number not updated in new passbook is clearly fault and deficiency in services of bank .You need to make complaint for your grievances to Banking Ombudsman Reserve Bank Of India or may file complaint before Consumer Commission. Complaint can be filed online also.

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     08 April 2023

You first issue a legal notice to the bank for not entertaining your mother to get the bank account balance of your deceased father to her name despite she being nominated and produce the photocopy of the old passbook.

If the bank is reluctant or not responding then she can file a complaint with the consumer commission against the bank for deficiency in service and also she can request the court for an expeditious disposal for the reasons that the matter is urgent.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register