Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul Jain (Analyst)     19 May 2010

A Query on recording of mobile conversations

Hi

This is Rahul , a CA , working in KPMG as an Analyst in Mumbai . I wanted to know if mobile phone conversations are recorded or not of normal citizens like us . I am curious ( and paranoid ) to know this because some time back three of us ( 2 friends of mine ) were going on two bikes . I was sitting behind one of them. He forgot the bike papers in his bag left in the office . So at a signal , when he saw policemen , he stopped his bike way before the signal , so that they don't do random checks and ask for papers . Meanwhile third guy on the bike passed and later he called me up asking where were we . So I replied that " We stopped a bit early as Police was standing ahead" . These were my words and now I , don't  know  for some strange reasons , i fear that if someone overheard us , then they can interpret anything , feeling that we were some culprits etc. trying to escape from police , though we had not committed any mistake or anything wrong . I guess, you will be having a wild laugh , but then I fear , whether it was recorded and if yes , then does it signify anything as I just said that we stopped as police was standing ahead....Kindly enlighten me ( in fact the two of us !!! )

Learning

5 Replies

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     19 May 2010

Conversations over phones are protected under privacy rights.  Nobody, even the telephone company can intrude your privacy.  So dont worry.  If any third party say 'i recorded your conversation on phone' you can boldy say 'Go to hell' becuz the first punishment is to him who recorded so.  Stop worrying for silly reasons - forget and be happy.

1 Like

Rahul Jain (Analyst)     20 May 2010

Hi Gundlapallis, I do appreciate your gesture. But my main concern was that say , if police authorities recorded it (may be on a random check) then if they hear us , then I wanted to know whether we are safe . I know we have not done anything and we have a clean and sound background too. So I just wanted to know that is police listens to this conversation then too are we safe or not.... (Mind you , I am not at all a law-savvy person...last time I read law , that too a little was during my SRCC  college days )

Vikas Aggarwal (Equity Associate Analyst)     20 May 2010

Hi , even I had this doubt...Almost a similar incident happened with me , wherein I had to stop as police was on heavy patrolling . When one of my colleagues called me up , I too told him that I stopped early as police was stading ahead. Nothing else...So even I too was worrying if at all police does get hold of this conversation , then also i am safe or not as i just stopped as police was doing their random checks and i did not had my pollution certificate that time as it was renewed and was lying in my laptop bag in my office...I dont what is police's procedure as in , even if they record , then they might check our backgrounds , our other call lists and other relevant details before coming to us or what ... i mean i wanted to know what can happen and am i safe or not..thanks for help.

Rahul Jain (Analyst)     22 May 2010

Hi ,

can anyone please answer our query...

thanks in advance...

Vikas Aggarwal (Equity Associate Analyst)     27 May 2010

hi,

we have a serious query...I am not that law-savvy person , so was just curious as this thing has been bugging me for long...

kindly help me out...

thanks in advance

regards,

vikas

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register