LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sam-AdviseSeeker (-)     02 July 2018

How to pay safe for sister's share

My mother is having a partion deed from her mother's property. Her parents are no more. 

We are three for my parents (Mingyself (son), elder sister and younger sister). My mother said she will sell her partioned property later (when she feels old enough) and share the amount with 3 of us. My elder sister is planning to buy a property in her area and she needs some money for that. But my mother is not ready to sell the property and share the money now.

Understading my elder sister's situation, I am ready to give her the money that she needs (equalent to current price for her share on my mother property) on behalf of her future share that she will be receiving from my mother. 

Now, I have to make sure she don't come back and make problems when my mother sells her property or I & my younger sister sell my mother property in her absense (thinking wide).

Is is ok if I write this matter on a stamp paper and get my elder sister's singnature ?. The property is not big though. 

Or any other suggestion to play this safe and avoid future problems ?

Thank you in advance  

Learning

2 Replies

Raghav Arora   02 July 2018

Hi! Thanks for the question!

Firstly, I would like to tell you that this is absolutely baseless and not prudent, as you are talking about a property that does not belong to you or your sister and the fate is totally uncertain. You cannot enter into an agreement legally, in respect of a property that does not belong to either of the party as on the date of agreement.

You call upon a very great risk here and you can expect loss of your money in future. However, if, for your satisfaction and for the sake of your relations, you want to help your sister, have the stamp paper filled with words and signature and also get an agreement from her in writing on the property that she is going to invest the money in (After she gets money from you), which would be far more valuable that the piece of paper related to the mother's property. You are advised to get a very good lawyer engaged and have the agreement drafted in a way that it is not vulnerable to the uncertainities and judicial proceedings(If any) in future. The agreement should be such that if something goes wrong in future, her lawyers should not be able to mould the agreement to their advantage. In future, your mother's property devolves upon you or not is a different issue and security of your money which you intend to give to your sister is an entirely different matter which can get you entangled in suits if anything gets displaced.

Use your brains practically instead of using your heart. 

Good Luck! 

1 Like

Sam-AdviseSeeker (-)     03 July 2018

Thank you Raghav for your valuable advise

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register