LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ritu Anand (.)     23 September 2009

National Law Schools and Judiciary Exam

The present situation of National Law Schools is such that everything here is very CGPA oriented. Most students here pay higher fees than other colleges and hence want to start getting paid well as soon as they leave law school.

We get scores (CGPA) for each subject and the sum total of all five years determine the kind of job one will land up with, but every student can be rest assured that at the end of five years no matter what their CGPA is, they will get a well paying job.

As a result, hardly any students are interested in litigation or advocacy and such good education and all the exposure derived from these law schools fails to reach the courts of law and remains confined to law firms. 

I'm also a student of one of these colleges but I have an inclination towards judiciary. Till date, we haven't got any orientation from the college about how to become a judge and not one with a legal background, I'm completely clueless about the same. Sadly, neither the delhi high court website not any other website gives in detail information about the same. I am a resident of Delhi and will be very grateful if anybody can briefly cover all aspects of the examination for district and high court. 

Also, I did some preliminary research and found out that after 10 years of experience, one can directly be appointed by the Governor and President as a High Court judge. I want t know how fair this process is. Also, I'm curious as to the number of seats, reservation and difficulty level of the examination and will be grateful if someone throws light upon the same.

Learning

6 Replies

Manish Singh (Advocate)     28 September 2009

bt we dont have NLS in delhi..

Ritu Anand (.)     28 September 2009

I'm in NLSIU Bangalore but my permanant residence is in Delhi.

Manish Singh (Advocate)     29 September 2009

hey Ritu, I am sorry since i had'nt gone throgh the message completely due to lack of time so couldnt understand what you wnated to ask. look the thing you asked about judiciary after 10 years of practice means you are straight away going to be appointed to the HIgh Court but yeah since its India, you need recommendations and all that which would be given only if you are somewhat related to the judges of highre judiciary or politicians. another thing , just after passing out your LLB you may sit fr judicial exams which would make you a judicial member of the lower courts. i think  there is also a provision in delhi that after some years of practice (may be 4-5 as m not sure of this) you can sit fr exams and can get into judiciary directly to ADJ. all these information imust be available at the website of Delhi HC.

Ritu Anand (.)     29 September 2009

Thanks a lot for the reply! The Delhi High Court website does not have any information for aspirants, except for perhaps exam notifications. I browsed the net but there are no reliable sources regarding the same.

I would like you to know that this is a very important choice for me to make because I have to plan my future in accordance with the suitability of judiciary as a profession. If I give up a job in a corporate law firm, I'll also be letting go of a very good package. Though I am aware the perks of a Government job, it would be much appreciated if you could enlighten me on the payscales. 

Thanks again!

Manish Singh (Advocate)     01 October 2009

Hi Ritu, find below the reuired info.. if need to ask anything more feel free to ask..

Confirm it from Delhi high court website

PUBLIC APPOINTMENTS

HIGH COURT OF DELHI : NEW DELHI

THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI will hold Delhi Judicial Service Examination in two successive stages:-

(i) Delhi Judicial Service Preliminary Examination (objective type with 25% negative marking) for selection for the main examination, and

(ii) Delhi Judicial Service Main Examination (Written) for selection of candidates for calling for Viva voce.

The Delhi Judicial Service Preliminary Examination (Objective Type) referred to above, will be held on

Sunday, the 2nd November, 2008.

The Delhi Judicial Service Main Examination (Written) will be held on

Rs. 9000-14550. A candidate shall be eligible to appear in the examination if he/she is (a) a citizen of India (b) a Law graduate from a recognized university

(c) a person practising as an Advocate in India or a person qualified to be admitted as an Advocate under the Advocates Act, 1961 (d) not more than 32 years

of age as on

Scheduled Castes/Tribes the upper age limit is relaxable by 5 years. The upper age limit is also relaxable maximum by 5 years in the case of Ex-Servicemen

including Emergency Commissioned Officers and Short Service Commissioned Officers who have rendered at least 5 years military service and have been

released on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due to be completed within 6 months) otherwise than by way of dismissal

ordischarge on account of misconduct or inefficiency, or on account of physical disability attributable to military service or on invalidment.

Application form including the DJSE Registration Form can be had personally on payment of

21st and 22nd December, 2008. The time-scale of pay of members of the Service is1st January, 2009 i.e. on the 1st day of January following the date of commencement of the examination. In the case of candidates belonging toRs. 600/- each for General Category candidates and Rs. 100/-

for Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe / Physically Handicapped [Blind/Low vision (Mobility not to be restricted) and Orthopaedically Handicapped {OA –

one arm affected (Right or left), OL – one leg affected (right or left), BL – both legs affected but not arms}] candidates on any working day from

to 29.9.2008

self addressed envelope of

candidates and

General, Delhi High Court, New Delhi, payable at New Delhi, in an envelope addressed to Joint Registrar (Vig.), Delhi High Court, New Delhi,

superimposed with words in bold letters,

Form will be sent to the candidate(s) by Registered Post only subject to their fulfilling abovesaid requirements and no enquiry/correspondence shall be

entertained in this regard.

Applications on the prescribed form and the DJSE Registration Form duly filled in alongwith copies of the requisite documents, as per Instructions, should

be sent by “Registered Post Acknowledgement Due” addressed to the Joint Registrar (Vig.), Delhi High Court, Sher Shah Road, New Delhi – 110 003, by

designation, enclosed in the envelope provided with the application form so as to reach him not later than 4:00 P.M. on

submitted personally at the Filing Counter of Delhi High Court on any working day between 10:30 A.M. & 1:00 P.M. and 2:00 P.M. & 4:00 P.M. till

29.8.2008between 10:30 A.M. & 1:00 P.M. and 2.00 P.M. & 4:00 P.M. from the Filing Counter of Delhi High Court, or by sending, at his own risk, a38 cm X 25cm size with postage stamp of Rs. 90/- affixed on it along with Demand Draft of Rs. 600/- for General CategoryRs. 100/- for Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe / Physically Handicapped (only above said categories) candidates in favour of RegistrarDJS EXAMINATION 2008” . The prescribed Application Form alongwith instructions and DJSE Registration30.9.2008. Applications can also be

The number of vacancies to be filled is as under:-

Category No. of posts Remarks

General ------------------ 23

SC ----------------------- 05

ST --------------------- 06

Physically

handicapped

(Blind/ Low

Vision) ------------------ 02 (01 vacancy carried forward and advertised for the fourth time. 01 vacancy carried forward and advertised for the second time.)

Total ------------------------------ 36

In addition to the above vacancies, 50 more posts are proposed to be filled up through this selection process in the event of additional posts being created.

Applications incomplete in any form or those not on the prescribed application form or not accompanied by the DJSE Registration Form or the requisite

documents or received after the due date, are liable to be rejected summarily.

The candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they fulfil all

the eligibility conditions for admission to the examination. Their admission at all the stages of examination for which they are admitted by this Court viz.

Preliminary Examination, Main Examination (Written) and the Viva-voce will be purely provisional, subject to their satisfying the prescribed eligibility

conditions. If on verification at any time before or after the Main Examination (Written) and the Vivavoce, it is found that they do not fulfil any of the

eligibility conditions, their candidature for the examination shall stand cancelled without any notice or further reference

Notification

DELHI JUDICIAL SERVICES EXAMINATION, 2008

1 Like

Gagan Gupta (Advocate)     04 March 2010

So far there is no reservation for women but higher courts feel pressure to increase the strength of fairer s*x so deserving ladies has good chance. For ADJ usually 7years practice is required.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register